Clover bales???

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
Ok, so does anyone have first hand knowledge of clover bales? We want to take a second cutting, and after the first in May the clover came in like gangbusters! It is red clover, and we planted it with rye last fall at 20%, but it is obvious it went in a bit stronger! Here is my dilemma, the rain has stopped over the last 10 days, and the fescue and rye has stopped growing, but NOT the clover! Our field has at least 90% clover, knee high at least, right now. I sure do not want to graze it, for fear of bloat in the cattle. What kind of hay will almost straight clover make? Will it shatter, or make nice round bales? We told our guy that bales for us that we want a second cutting, but that it is a ton of clover. He knows it takes longer to dry, I just wonder what kind of hay it will make.... That field usually yields about 3.8 rounds (4 x 5.5) per acre, can you expect that with clover?
Thanks for any advice....

When done correctly it's pretty much like alflafa. The biggest problem is curing, almost need a hay/discbine to get it to cure properly

Will make good haylage.....if you have away to wrap it. It will be very difficult to cure and then it may still silage in the middle of the bale even if you think its dry.

I have baled lots of it and it can be tricky getting it dry enough but not too dry

is darn good feed
best luck I have had was cut it and leave the swath as wide as you can tedd it the next morning while the dew is still on it to prevent leaf shatter and then let it alone until the next day and check and see if it is dry enough to bale if not then hopefully it was dry enough the next day usually by 10 I would start raking with it still just a touch to wet to bale and let it sit til afternoon to bale

now I would just rake it around 20-22% moisture and start baling right behind the rake with my acid system on my baler to keep it from molding or heating it sure makes it nice especially living in this sauna called the DELTA

I also would cut it as early in the morning as I could if I was running it thru a conditioner

We seem to get that here. 85% clover and rest grass the first year of new seeding. Like it's been said it can be a little harder to dry out. It does make good hay though.

no q bale that clover it makes good hay.but the prob is getting enough days to dry an bale it without rain on it.but this time of year you should be able to get it cured.

Thanks for all your help guys! I feel a lot better now....
I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Well, this post was for nothing! Our custom baler took his baler in to be repaired, and while we were away for a week in NE, the grasshoppers moved in and ate the ENTIRE 13 acres of knee high clover is now just long stems with a dry flower at the top. Wish I knew how to nuke the grasshoppers, they are ruining EVERYTHING!

Fire Sweep Ranch":o4j73ace said:
Well, this post was for nothing! Our custom baler took his baler in to be repaired, and while we were away for a week in NE, the grasshoppers moved in and ate the ENTIRE 13 acres of knee high clover is now just long stems with a dry flower at the top. Wish I knew how to nuke the grasshoppers, they are ruining EVERYTHING!
Wow. I have a hay field of red clover and since I have enough hay I am letting it reseed itself. I am waiting to bushhog it to mulch but it is still in perfect shape. I looked at the flowers and they still don't have solid seeds.

Fire Sweep Ranch":23jy13r8 said:

It might be best to clip it off, that might stimulate regrowth.

inyati13":l508suif said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":l508suif said:
Wow. I have a hay field of red clover and since I have enough hay I am letting it reseed itself. I am waiting to bushhog it to mulch but it is still in perfect shape. I looked at the flowers and they still don't have solid seeds.
You know, it is not nice to BRAG! :p <----- that is me sticking my tongue out at you!!! :cry2:

Latest posts