Clothes Leaving the House

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
I was born in 1982, I'll just get that out there to give some context. I remember a time when people left the house in jeans and t-shirts, polo shirts and shorts or dressed to go to work. If you were dressed for work, in the white collar world, it was at the least a shirt and tie with nice pants. For blue collar jobs it was clean jeans and a shirt, and if your job required you to get dirty you wore something over the top like coveralls. I grew up in a white collar house, but lived in a blue collar town, so I've seen it all. But now? Now people go out of the house in whatever. I just saw a lady come into my workplace, as a client, in cotton gym shorts. I routinely see people coming in to be seen in pajama pants, sweatpants or yoga pants. I don't care how good a butt you have, but I if you're not going to, or coming from, the gym I don't feel that it's acceptable to leave the house looking like that. I've seen pictures from the 60's where folks wore suits to go to NFL games. Not anymore, though. For me, it's been a very big deal this shift in society, the "I don't care how I present myself to society" attitude. It's pretty sad.

A guy I know got a job working from home, about 6 months ago. He does some kind background checking of people online. I have ran in to him twice this week. Bank once, and an auto parts store. He was in cotton gym shorts, and a T. Literally looked like he just woke up.

I can't wear shorts outside my own house. Just the way I was raised I guess. It sure isn't because my legs aren't pretty enough. And I hate T-shirts. Always feel like I'm choking. I'd just as soon have on a button-up shirt with a necktie.

Rafter S":69otf8aj said:
I can't wear shorts outside my own house. Just the way I was raised I guess. It sure isn't because my legs aren't pretty enough. And I hate T-shirts. Always feel like I'm choking. I'd just as soon have on a button-up shirt with a necktie.

Same. Shame too. Looks comfortable.

I've tried wearing jean shorts just feels wrong.

Whenever I go to Walmart I just expect to see someone interestingly dressed or undressed. Was there one night this big ole gal probably 6-3 pushing 4 bills was wearing a bathing suit that was to small kept having to dig it out. I about puked. Another night seen this large lady wearing a grinch who stole Christmas onesie. I regularly see girls in pjs. Other day saw this old guy wearing shorts that were to short and knee high black socks with black dress shoes. Since I travel around teaching CPR and into people's homes I see even more. Went to train this one girl and what was scary was just me and her in the house but she left little to the imagination. I had another girl take off her pants right in front of me she was wearing little bitty gym shorts underneath. Had several girls not wearing appropriate shirts and there boobs are about to pop out and seen girls with there panties hanging out. I am far from a fancy dresser but I do cover up.

It's all about what is in style now. Sad day when slobby is stylish

I wear shorts unless it's below 50, or I'm going to be in the woods. I really don't care how I dress, I'm not trying to impress anyone. In golf it's called etiquette and it would be nice if everyone showed some. I dress according to where I'm going and what I'm doing. The only reason I'd ever wear a tie again is if one of my kids ask me to, otherwise there's no one that important to me to wear a tie.

Bigfoot":2s5silik said:
A guy I know got a job working from home, about 6 months ago. He does some kind background checking of people online. I have ran in to him twice this week. Bank once, and an auto parts store. He was in cotton gym shorts, and a T. Literally looked like he just woke up.

My wife works from the house. Everyday, it's shower, hair, makeup, dress up, same as going to the office. How you're dressed will impact the work that you do.

tater74":1vlanhjn said:
Bigfoot":1vlanhjn said:

My wife works from the house. Everyday, it's shower, hair, makeup, dress up, same as going to the office. How you're dressed will impact the work that you do.
Very true. You nailed it tater. :nod:

True Grit Farms":10sozo8j said:
I wear shorts unless it's below 50, or I'm going to be in the woods. I really don't care how I dress, I'm not trying to impress anyone. In golf it's called etiquette and it would be nice if everyone showed some. I dress according to where I'm going and what I'm doing. The only reason I'd ever wear a tie again is if one of my kids ask me to, otherwise there's no one that important to me to wear a tie.

I've met him folks, he means it.

It is winter here so a lot of women in town wearing leggings as their outside clothing. An occaissional bit of eye candy but most of them mustn't own a mirror.

I need to wear sunglasses to town now to cope with all the high visability work wear getting around.

Ken

It's all perspective..our forefathers would think a button down, tie and jeans is quite poor taste when comared to how they dressed. My grandfather never wore anything but a suit to church, he wore overalls every day but Sunday. He would have a few choice words seeing folks roll into church in wrangler jeans, cowboy boots and a snap up shirt. Times change, fashion changes, norms and values evolve or devolve, depending on your perspective.

I

Basically, it's either bibs in cold weather or shorts in warm for me. I gave away all my dress up stuff after I retired. I kept one tie, have one pair of jeans that fit and a few nice button up shirts. I blame thirty years of either a uniform or suits w/tie for that.

Rafter S":19zzczok said:
I can't wear shorts outside my own house. Just the way I was raised I guess.

Same here. I can't wear shorts in public and feel normal, even though I have a normal build.

One type of dress that I think is Mixed up these days is the "country boy" attire. These days, if someone wants to display that they are just a country boy and not trying to be flashy, they feel they have to wear Redwings with a touch of manure, a t-shirt, and John Deere cap everywhere they go. (Just one example).

When I say everywhere, why would a person wear that to their kid's graduation or awards ceremony? Why would you wear that to a formal wedding when everybody else is dressed for the occasion?

I feel that some feel they are representing the true spirit of a country boy, but that's not how the older generation did it. As someone mentioned before, people once dressed up to go out.

Even though my grandparents generation were poor as church mice and were as country as country could be, they still managed to acquire at least one good shirt and pair of pants that they wore when they wanted to look "presentable" as they called it. They all had some neckties too.

I've heard my grandfather say in his day that it was considered disgracefulto have a hole in your clothes. Holes were patched. These days, people act like holes in their clothes make them something special

Bestoutwest":fbwc4uqr said:
I was born in 1982, I'll just get that out there to give some context. I remember a time when people left the house in jeans and t-shirts, polo shirts and shorts or dressed to go to work. If you were dressed for work, in the white collar world, it was at the least a shirt and tie with nice pants. For blue collar jobs it was clean jeans and a shirt, and if your job required you to get dirty you wore something over the top like coveralls. I grew up in a white collar house, but lived in a blue collar town, so I've seen it all. But now? Now people go out of the house in whatever. I just saw a lady come into my workplace, as a client, in cotton gym shorts. I routinely see people coming in to be seen in pajama pants, sweatpants or yoga pants. I don't care how good a butt you have, but I if you're not going to, or coming from, the gym I don't feel that it's acceptable to leave the house looking like that. I've seen pictures from the 60's where folks wore suits to go to NFL games. Not anymore, though. For me, it's been a very big deal this shift in society, the "I don't care how I present myself to society" attitude. It's pretty sad.
I didn't realize you worked at Walmart :p

Clean jeans and a t shirt is my usual attire.. I do my darndest to leave the farm smells at home, I can only hope I'm successful at that!

Latest posts