Closed herds

Help Support CattleToday:

Scotty

Reaction score
How many of us have a closed herd. By this I mean you owly bring in bulls, keeping heifers as replacements that you raise.

Scotty":389rnsj4 said:
How many of us have a closed herd. By this I mean you owly bring in bulls, keeping heifers as replacements that you raise.
Not a closed hered here, but I'm really fussy who I buy from. I can only name 2 herds that I have bought from in the past 5 years.

~

We are closed.

Even though I am tempted to buy 2 animals from other herds.

Hey Scotty, did you ever use those weaning impliments last year to wean your calves ?

Yes. They worked well. All stayed in past the cow drying out. I did lose a few in the pasture to who knows what. One I found in the water tank. I am going to use them again this year.

Maybe we have a "partially closed" herd. That is, we have 4 of our own bulls and rotate them as needed here. We only buy new breeding females from very reputable breeders who have quality operations.

This is important since we are a TAHC TB Accredited and Brucellosis Certified disease free herd.

Scotty":3jctfgjl said:

Ours is closed and has been for a number of years - I forget exactly how many. :lol: :lol:

Scotty":3mobw3og said:

That's me.

fitz

Latest posts