closed herd

Help Support CattleToday:

It took a while for my Vet to convince me a closed herd was the only way to go. Glad I listened. I did buy a herd from a man selling out but put them in a different pasture for a long time. Later we brought some of the cows here to our main herd. I was even apprehensive about doing that.
Each herd builds their own immunities.

kiend17":1da7zoq8 said:
why do people figure its bad to have a closed herd other then buying bulls?

There are a few definitions of "closed herd". One would be no live animals entering and another would be from a strict breeding definition. 2 totally different things

From a biosecurity and disease prevention/prevalence standpoint, it's a good thing.
Genetically...it's a topic for discussion and disagreement.

Lots of folks will say 'I have a closed herd.', but they really don't think about biosecurity issues that may signal that they really don't.
Here are some things to think about...

Do you have fenceline contact with cattle on the neighboring farm? Especially important if the neighbor is constantly 'trading' cattle.
Do the neighbor's bull or cows sometimes 'come to visit'?
Do you show? Cattle leaving, then coming home after being exposed to other animals at the show can easily bring back a 'new' bug with them.(So can you!)
Do you go to the auction barn - either routinely, or just when you're unloading your own animals and watching them sell? If so, do you change clothes & disinfect your boots before you walk back out into the barnyard or pasture with your own animals?
Who hauls your cattle? Where has that truck/trailer been before they pulled into your place? Do they ever wash out, much less disinfect, the stock trailer?
Do you go buy an orphan calf to graft onto that cow that lost hers? (No way in lleh I'd do that!)
Does the feed truck make deliveries to your place? Where'd he been before he drove into your barnyard?
Do friends/neighbors who have livestock come to visit? Do you make them change clothes & disinfect their footwear before they go traipsing out into your pasture?
What about your veterinarian? Where have they and their truck been before they arrived at your place? Have they changed clothes, disinfected boots & instruments since the last farm call, stopped by the carwash between farms?
I'm ashamed to admit that I probably did not pay enough attention to, or think enough about, biosecurity for my clients, back in the day, and I'm afraid that a lot of my colleagues probably still don't.
Probably some other things that will come to me after I hit 'submit'.

Yeah, purchased bulls CAN bring stuff in - but we're usually testing them for the major disease concerns before they get on the trailer coming our way.

Lots of info. about a closed herd. How is the breeding done if you retain your heifers and bulls to maintain a closed herd, seems like you would get the point of inbreeding?

There is also something called line breeding, where one purposely mate related cattle to each other.
Then there is those that do not bring in new genes, but not necessarily linebreed, like the Lasaters.
So there are different ways of doing things.

Lucky P, I qualify for a closed herd in most of the questions you ask... haven't brought a cow here in 22 years, in that time we've brought in 5 bulls. No neighboring cattle, no feed trucks, I haul my own cattle..
I figure my herd is pretty closed. I like it that way

Lucky_P":1fi89mlm said:
From a biosecurity and disease prevention/prevalence standpoint, it's a good thing.
Genetically...it's a topic for discussion and disagreement.

Lots of folks will say 'I have a closed herd.', but they really don't think about biosecurity issues that may signal that they really don't.
Here are some things to think about...

Do you have fenceline contact with cattle on the neighboring farm? Especially important if the neighbor is constantly 'trading' cattle.
Do the neighbor's bull or cows sometimes 'come to visit'?
Do you show? Cattle leaving, then coming home after being exposed to other animals at the show can easily bring back a 'new' bug with them.(So can you!)
Do you go to the auction barn - either routinely, or just when you're unloading your own animals and watching them sell? If so, do you change clothes & disinfect your boots before you walk back out into the barnyard or pasture with your own animals?
Who hauls your cattle? Where has that truck/trailer been before they pulled into your place? Do they ever wash out, much less disinfect, the stock trailer?
Do you go buy an orphan calf to graft onto that cow that lost hers? (No way in lleh I'd do that!)
Does the feed truck make deliveries to your place? Where'd he been before he drove into your barnyard?
Do friends/neighbors who have livestock come to visit? Do you make them change clothes & disinfect their footwear before they go traipsing out into your pasture?
What about your veterinarian? Where have they and their truck been before they arrived at your place? Have they changed clothes, disinfected boots & instruments since the last farm call, stopped by the carwash between farms?
I'm ashamed to admit that I probably did not pay enough attention to, or think enough about, biosecurity for my clients, back in the day, and I'm afraid that a lot of my colleagues probably still don't.
Probably some other things that will come to me after I hit 'submit'.

Yeah, purchased bulls CAN bring stuff in - but we're usually testing them for the major disease concerns before they get on the trailer coming our way.

You're on the money. Yes, The neighbor's bull comes visiting and there's no stopping him. Share fence lines with 7 other cattle outfits.

The one you missed? That would have to be the water trucks going to the gas wells. They have been on umpteen different farms already this week, dayshift drivers, nightshift drivers etc. Forget about the drillers, work over rigs, etc. The water trucks run non-stop.

Brute 23":r67a1x6o said:
Usually to have a closed herd it you need multiple properties or more than one herd. Pretty tough with 10 cows and bull. ;-)

Hang in there. You'll have a herd some day.

backhoeboogie":2hubt8js said:
Brute 23":2hubt8js said:
Usually to have a closed herd it you need multiple properties or more than one herd. Pretty tough with 10 cows and bull. ;-)

Hang in there. You'll have a herd some day.

No sir. Not with my money I wont. More money in taking care of cattle. I hear people are paying 50% of the calf crop now days. :)