Close Call

Help Support CattleToday:

ArrowHBrand

Reaction score
Last Saturday afternoon I was deer hunting from the ground. I set up in a row of small pine trees and waited there for about an hour when I binoc'd a doe out in a food plot. I picked up and hurried down around the south end of my pond, around the west to the north and picked my way along the shore. The north bank of this pond has about a ten foot drop. I use it all of the time to sneak to the far corner of my property. There I creep up the bank and there is another large pine tree where I can get to and set up.
I wasn't there five minutes when a doe and fawn trotted out of the woods about 40 yards in front of me. She began feeding in the harvested corn field towards me, but that dang fawn kept eyeballing me. When they both had their heads down I'd creep closer. Couldn't make it happen, the fawn stared at me for what seemed like eternity while the doe fed out of range.
I waited some more and more deer were coming into this food plot. Eventually a small buck came out and began chasing does around. I stood up and saw one running towards me. I got back down and waited. She stopped running and was feeding towards me. 35 yards, now 30, and now she was under 25. In range, slightly downhill. I was about to make the shot when a dumptruck came rolling into the gravel pit next door. She looked up and I looked over. Mistake #1. When I turned back she was looking right at me. I slowly began to draw, mistake #2, because she turned and bolted. Once in the treeline she blew and the other deer ran for cover.
I was diappointed, it was my fault though, I checked my watch only half hour left of shooting light. I figured, heck, may as well sit it out. It got darker and darker and I was about to leave when a doe came cautiously walking the fence line 20 yards away. The only problem was she was on the other side of a field fence 3 strand barded wire fence. She went behind a tree and I spun to where she would be at a 90* angle to me when she came out. However, she didn't stop walking and I wasn't comfortable shooting through the field fence. Close call, but an exciting afternoon hunt none the less.

When a fence is involved it sometimes makes for some tough decisions, I think you made the right one.

Last year I hunted a dominate buck all season. Never could get more than a quick glimpse of him till one day I was finishing up some fence repairs when he jumped over the fence on the neighbor's property and slowly walked across his field oblivious to me. I opened the door of my truck and pulled my rifle out and chambered one round and scoped him at 50 yards. He didn't seem to care, he just kept walking slowly across the field as if taunting me with his knowledge of the rules of engagement. He was on fine deer and I hope to catch him on this side of the fence this year. It definitely tried my principles to the max.

Been stalking a 12 pointer with a nice wide rack for 2 seasons now.
He somehow always manages for me to see him only through the windshield of my truck. Couldn't be a side window.

Cal

Calman":1w8ry987 said:
Been stalking a 12 pointer with a nice wide rack for 2 seasons now.
He somehow always manages for me to see him only through the windshield of my truck. Couldn't be a side window.

Cal

I've been hunting a particularly big buck for 4 years. I've had shots at him but they were the kind that only feel about 85% confident that you can drop him cleanly. Monday he came running out of a holler panting with his tongue hanging out and stopped about 75 yards ago. Before I could get the sights on him 2 dogs came tearing out of the holler about 50 feet behind him and he took off again. Never got a shot at him or the dogs. Haven;t seen any sign of him since. This year he's down to only a very heavy wide and tall 8 point.

I have seen a particular buck around the last few seasons and have already seen him this year. I'm hoping he'll slip up at the right time and I'll be there to put an arrow through his boilermaker.

I have seen a particular buck around the last few seasons and have already seen him this year. I'm hoping he'll slip up at the right time and I'll be there to put an arrow through his coalburner.

Latest posts