Close call

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
My neighbors' grandson went to camp and ended up getting sick. Doctors were at a loss as to what was wrong with him at first but then they diagnosed meningitis. It was touch and go for a while but he ended recovered completely and he doesn't remember anything that happened during his illness. The sad thing is eleven children who were at camp with him did not recover and have since died.

Am told this was spread by mosquitoes. What I find surprising is had I not lived next door to his grandparents I wouldn't have known anything about this and you would think eleven children dying of the same thing would be news worthy.

Scary ain't it? I hear about this kind of thing more and more frequently. But not 11 deaths! That should be newsworthy.

Client of mine had a friend in his 40s. Went to Florida about 2 months ago taking his son to a motocross event. Started feeling sick. Went to ER. 2 hours later he was in a coma. Never woke up. 6 weeks later they buried him. Equine encephalitis. From a mosquito bite. Scary.

Jogeephus":1t53xrx6 said:
My neighbors' grandson went to camp and ended up getting sick. Doctors were at a loss as to what was wrong with him at first but then they diagnosed meningitis. It was touch and go for a while but he ended recovered completely and he doesn't remember anything that happened during his illness. The sad thing is eleven children who were at camp with him did not recover and have since died.

Am told this was spread by mosquitoes. What I find surprising is had I not lived next door to his grandparents I wouldn't have known anything about this and you would think eleven children dying of the same thing would be news worthy.

Sure it wasn't encephalitis?
Youngest son came down with it 30 years ago.
He laid in hospital in a coma several days, all they could do was give IV drugs to reduce swelling of the brain.
He didn't remember anything, took several years to get a normal EEG.

Mosquitoes are the vectors extraordinaire of disease. They have been responsible for more human death and suffering than all the wars put together since man picked up a rock to pelt his neighbor with.

Some of these more contemporary viruses are a huge threat.

Spooky , was walking through the hayfield a couple of weeks ago, and in a low spot of a terrace must've stirred up a hatch. Was shirtless , and they literally covered me.

My neighbour of 60+ came down with it a couple of months ago, complained of flu like symptoms and then developed a rash on her body. It took her a long time to recover, she even lost her hair.
Stayed far away from her as some viral and bacterial meningitis are contagious for the first couple of weeks(did offer to put food through the window though ;-) ).
They can be transmitted by close contact, sneezing & coughing etc.The most common causes of meningitis are viral and bacterial(Streptococcus usually living in nasal passage & sinuses) but you do get fungal infections too as far as I know...:shock:

Agree Jo...should get news coverage & be circulated.

alisonb":2mqkpmcd said:
My neighbour of 60+ came down with it a couple of months ago, complained of flu like symptoms and then developed a rash on her body. It took her a long time to recover, she even lost her hair.
Stayed far away from her as some viral and bacterial meningitis are contagious for the first couple of weeks(did offer to put food through the window though ;-) ).
They can be transmitted by close contact, sneezing & coughing etc.The most common causes of meningitis are viral and bacterial(Streptococcus usually living in nasal passage & sinuses) but you do get fungal infections too as far as I know...:shock:

Agree Jo...should get news coverage & be circulated.

When my son had encephalitis the Dr. said there were literally dozens of strains. Didn't really matter the treatment was the same for all of them.
County and State started trapping mosquitoes immediately after he was diagnosed.

All this talk about the bad things mosquitoes carry isn't good right now. I have to change the irrigation daily. Flood irrigation. There is lots of water under that green grass. The mosquitoes come in in a V formation and try to pack you off by the ears. They consider Deep Woods Off as a condiment.

Dave":4l0pc04t said:
All this talk about the bad things mosquitoes carry isn't good right now. I have to change the irrigation daily. Flood irrigation. There is lots of water under that green grass. The mosquitoes come in in a V formation and try to pack you off by the ears. They consider Deep Woods Off as a condiment.

Buy a bunch of pickles and drink the juice. May help you. Works good for chiggers and ticks.

There are also chemicals that you can spray that will form a "border" that they won't cross. I'm not real up to date on these but I have a friend who owns a cabin and lot on the river. He and the adjoining residents pay a guy to spray the area with a plane. There are probably 15 homeowners and they pay like $50 each. Probably around 20 acres. So not dirt cheap but not overly expensive either. It does work. May be worth investigating. Idk?

Dave":8yg63pz9 said:

They are as big as turkeys here in this thicket.

JMJ Farms":1pm1k3em said:
Dave":1pm1k3em said:

Buy a bunch of pickles and drink the juice. May help you. Works good for chiggers and ticks.

There are also chemicals that you can spray that will form a "border" that they won't cross. I'm not real up to date on these but I have a friend who owns a cabin and lot on the river. He and the adjoining residents pay a guy to spray the area with a plane. There are probably 15 homeowners and they pay like $50 each. Probably around 20 acres. So not dirt cheap but not overly expensive either. It does work. May be worth investigating. Idk?

I have 70 acres of irrigated. The neighbor has a couple hundred. There is probably a couple thousand irrigated acres in this little valley. They paid $750 to do 20 acres. It would be cost prohibitive to do it here. I did see that the average first frost in Baker City was September 12. I am ready for a couple good hard frosts.

rollinhills":1w6oyoiu said:
I came down with fungal meningitis after 34 radiation treatments, bout took this ole boy out.
Yikes. Hope you are better now, from the meningitis as well as the radiation treatments.

Dave":xqllhreg said:
JMJ Farms":xqllhreg said:
Dave":xqllhreg said:

I have 70 acres of irrigated. The neighbor has a couple hundred. There is probably a couple thousand irrigated acres in this little valley. They paid $750 to do 20 acres. It would be cost prohibitive to do it here. I did see that the average first frost in Baker City was September 12. I am ready for a couple good hard frosts.

Yes. I agree it would be cost prohibitive. I should have been clearer. I was mainly suggesting spraying around your yard, house, barns and such. The places where you might tend to spend most of your time. The stuff I'm talking about doesn't kill them. But it does create an effective barrier. A thermacell works if you're stationary . But not if you're moving around much.

JMJ Farms":c5g3crod said:
Dave":c5g3crod said:
JMJ Farms":c5g3crod said:

Yes. I agree it would be cost prohibitive. I should have been clearer. I was mainly suggesting spraying around your yard, house, barns and such. The places where you might tend to spend most of your time. The stuff I'm talking about doesn't kill them. But it does create an effective barrier. A thermacell works if you're stationary . But not if you're moving around much.

I should have been clearer too. They aren't particularly bad around the house etc. But when you run the quad out through the grass to change the irrigation they come up in a cloud. I can't remember ever looking forward to a good hard frost before. I guess there is a first time for everything.

Dave":1s7ge8o6 said:
JMJ Farms":1s7ge8o6 said:
Dave":1s7ge8o6 said:

I should have been clearer too. They aren't particularly bad around the house etc. But when you run the quad out through the grass to change the irrigation they come up in a cloud. I can't remember ever looking forward to a good hard frost before. I guess there is a first time for everything.

I'm ready too Dave. We had a really mild winter last year and then a really wet summer. It's been the perfect storm for breeding mosquitoes. Maybe this winter will wreak havoc on them.

I've seen them in a cloud like you mention. So many of them that I believe if they'd work together they could probably manage to carry off a small child :lol2:

Mosquitoes dont like cold weather but because of their short life cycle its not really relevant in the south . the larve can survive and in a few days of warm temps over winter they will hatch and you have more to deal with. I have to carry a therma cell in the winter hunting here. It can be near freezing and the shooting house will be full of them .

boondocks":1492k6a9 said:
rollinhills":1492k6a9 said:
I came down with fungal meningitis after 34 radiation treatments, bout took this ole boy out.
Yikes. Hope you are better now, from the meningitis as well as the radiation treatments.

That was 13 years ago I've got the cancer whooped and the meningitis, but I can tell you it wasn't fun.

Latest posts