Cloning Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

*Cowgirl*":28llg21t said:
Your thoughts..........

Aside from all the ethical arguments I shudder to imagine looking out across my pasture at a herd of identical cattle grazing in the afternoon sun.
Think what a sorry, boring world that would be. I look across the fence to my neighbors land and there I stand.

It's the one consolation of getting old. We don't have to face this future.

"Gladly did I live
and Gladly die;
I lay me down with a will."

(I need to get out more!!!)

Jon

Here we go again! Moderators, please lock this one down ASAP. It is political as it gets.

I really dont have a problem with cloning.

I dont want clones themselves in the food chain, most out of consumer confidence issues than anything else.

It would be nice to see some research on the progeny of cloned animals to see if there is a "print" of any kind that leads back to the original clone.

MD

I don't have a problem with cloning as long as the animal is identified as a clone. We already have this in our breed association and it's caused a huge stink. The problem that I have with cloning in our association is the animals being able to compete in regular classes with everyone else's animals. I guess this shouldn't matter that much anyway as our breed association already caters to the money folks in letting them slip in blended genetics (as in adding other blood and not having to blood type-this was dropped earlier to protect the cheaters), date changing etc. all for the almighty dollar and what this money can do for them (the association).

Basically, I believe that a clone will eventually show up in alot of pedigrees unless folks are very diligent on keeping their pedigrees in order. I personally would not spend the money to clone even if I could afford it but I wouldn't be afraid of an offspring of a clone. I've seen some and they seem perfectly normal in production. As long as the cloned animal is noted on the registration certificate I'm ok with having that animal in my animal's pedigree. I don't have any of these but I think at some point as these cloned animals breed and the offspring circulates that some may show up in breeding programs.

When they clone anything I think the animal they got the actual egg from should be identified. I still think that the non-nuclear part of the egg still has a bearing on the resulting animal. But I sure don;t have any bonifidis to know, just seems logical to me.

Although I am political and religious,I'm not going there and violate the rules. I wish these experts would quit messing with nature.Haven't we learned anything from our mistakes? Not mentioning the further loss of the gene pool.Look at the poultry industry.Sure you have like product.It all tastes the same.No taste just filler.

*Cowgirl*":22txf8ic said:
Your thoughts..........

I don't have any problems with it. Like Dun, I don't think they have it down to the old science fiction movie stuff where it's an exact replica.

When they perfect it and make it affordable, I have several I would like to put into the system.

Must remember that genetic diversity is the key to hardy survivors though.

To clone everything places a great deal of risk in the food chain. One animal catches a cold, they are all liable to get sick.

Bring it on.

Bez>

The cloned dairy cows I saw four years ago were not identical, so the consistancy argument goes out of the window, and if we relied entirely on clones, we would not be in a position to continue to improve our stock performance or adaptability etc beyond the genotype represented in the clones, I also add my vote to the need for genetic diversity.
There was also some concern about the clones displaying accelerated aging, from what the vets were discussing.

It doesn't bother me. I'm game for anything that can make live better. I don't think they'll have it down pat for many of eons. Life has its pats on the back and its knocks to the ground. I do wish they could spend the money on other more important problems of our society though. Life is a journey, hold on to set, enjoy the ride, take your pats with your knocks, but always remember it's to short to sit idle.

backhoeboogie":1lqpqmiu said:
Here we go again! Moderators, please lock this one down ASAP. It is political as it gets.

The reason I ask is that I'm writing a paper. I want some opinions from various beef producers......Thanks - keep them coming. :)

When I talked to the folks who have cloned several Texas Longhorns (I believe it was Bovagen) I was told that the first clone cost $19,000.00 and then the price goes down for each additional animal. They will guarantee you a live two to three month old calf for that price and then it's up to you to raise it.

*Cowgirl*":3ryl7olo said:
backhoeboogie":3ryl7olo said:

The reason I ask is that I'm writing a paper. I want some opinions from various beef producers......Thanks - keep them coming. :)

Be sure and look backar the previous threads on this. There were many. Should be some good fodder for your paper.

Cloning is a process of removing the genetic material, DNA, from an embryo and replacing it with aged DNA from a mature animals cell. However clones will not be identical due to the fact that environment can cause the genes to be expressed in a different manner thus meaning different color patterns, different eye color and so on. I know the lady that founded Bovagen and then sold it. She is now doing her own cloning. It is very expensive and I personally don't see any advantages in it due to the differences in genetic expression.

Latest posts