Clogged Utter

Help Support CattleToday:

bchilders

Reaction score
I have an F- Hereford cow who puts out a great calf (this is my 10 yr old sons cow...) Anyway, she has the "pickle bag" one of hier utters became clogged las year and I was not able to work on it. She is due to calve in 2 weeks. Any suggestion?

bchilders":1w2f133y said:
I have an F- Hereford cow who puts out a great calf (this is my 10 yr old sons cow...) Anyway, she has the "pickle bag" one of hier utters became clogged las year and I was not able to work on it. She is due to calve in 2 weeks. Any suggestion?

I raise 'em and therefore I will tell you that you do no favours to yourslf or anyone else when you keep a cow with a crappy bag.

Too many good ones out there to even worry about it.

Sell her - before or after she calves - your choice -and replace her.

Bez!

If it is only one teat, and it isn't infected, where she is affected by it, limping or sick from it, just leave it. Three teaters are no big deal, still will be a viable animal.

There it is again - Pickle bag :shock: NEVER heard that term used before last week.
Anyway, no matter what problem she had last year, do not touch the udder until AFTER she calves. If she still has a problem, than you can check it out. But as stated in previous post, a 3-quartered cow can do just as well raising a calf - just as long as it isn't a mastitis that causes her to become sick. If it's a "blind teat", just ignore it.
But Bez is sure right. No reason to keep a poor uddered cow if "pickle bag" means she has poor quality teats or udder. I realize this is your son's cow, but keeping replacements/breeding stock out of a poor uddered cow can just multiply your problems. He would be better off selling the cow & replacing her.