clipping pastures

Help Support CattleToday:

chukar

Reaction score
So this will be the first year I have been concerned with clipping pastures. Last fall we installed about 40 acres of K-Line (pod) irrigation and now are able to irrigate all those high spots that we could not soak under the old flood irrigation method.

Although this has created a great amount more forage, one area 5+/- acres are coming in almost pure foxtail. It is has headed out, but not dried down completely so I think there is time to clip it before these seedheads are mature enough to cause future problems. (I know that there is most likely a huge seedbank of undesireables, but baby steps)

So how close should I clip it back? what I have available to me at this time is a brush hog and the blades are not that sharp, is this going to be too detrimental to this particular area? I can get to sharpening them this weekend, but wanted to just hook up and go before the foxtail dried down any more.

And the "stems" that are left....are they going to create a pinkeye or eye irritating nightmare once I irrigate and the understory starts to come through?

I have a couple areas outside this immediate spot that will need some attention, but they are more mustard related. We are looking at bringing in about 30 head of feeder calves to clean this up, and that is the primary reason, but would also like to have good enough forage for them to put on some pounds and turn a dime or two.

Thanks

I would cut the stalks off just above the height of the green leaves if possiable. That should encourage new growth, without lossing the feed that you have now, or using too much fuel.

I would cut the stalks off just above the height of the green leaves if possiable. That should encourage new growth, without lossing the feed that you have now, or using too much fuel.

I like this approach. Not tomuch feed loss, and no bad eyes.

mridgecattleco":qlt5nj49 said:

I clip with a dullish blade and take off an inch or two of leave.

dun":nxole02e said:
mridgecattleco":nxole02e said:

I clip with a dullish blade and take off an inch or two of leave.
Taking off a little leaf not just the seed head would stumulate fresh growth a lot better. Is the dull blade an important factor or do they just happen to be that way?

novatech":187m6jhp said:
dunI clip with a dullish blade and take off an inch or two of leave.[/quote:187m6jhp said:
Taking off a little leaf not just the seed head would stumulate fresh growth a lot better. Is the dull blade an important factor or do they just happen to be that way?
The dull blade frays the end of the seed stalk instead of leaving it sharp. Last year we had a horrible problem with lacerated eyes on calves from reaching down into the stubble. Used a sharp blade and clipped it just above the grass blades. First year I did it that way, first year we had a problem with eyes.
The blade doesn;t need to be so dull that you could ride to newyork on it and barely get a dent in your butt, just dull enough that it doesn;t cut the stalk clean.

dun":lpi83zlm said:
novatech":lpi83zlm said:
dunI clip with a dullish blade and take off an inch or two of leave.[/quote:lpi83zlm said:
The dull blade frays the end of the seed stalk instead of leaving it sharp. Last year we had a horrible problem with lacerated eyes on calves from reaching down into the stubble. Used a sharp blade and clipped it just above the grass blades. First year I did it that way, first year we had a problem with eyes.
The blade doesn;t need to be so dull that you could ride to newyork on it and barely get a dent in your butt, just dull enough that it doesn;t cut the stalk clean.
Makes scents. Never thought about it that way. My procrastination has paid off. It also keeps me from having as many flat tires when cutting brush.

Thanks for the responses. I haven't been ignoring everyone, just been busy irrigating and trying to get everything done.

Perhaps the clipping was too late? I cut the foxtail pretty close to the ground, but now it sure doesn't want to green back up. I guess worst case is keep it short this year so it doesn't seed itself and then go back with some grass no-tilled or broadcast in the spring.