Clippers.

Help Support CattleToday:

Daisy452

Reaction score
Ok I know this is for cattle, but I have a friend who some show sheep, and needs to know what the best kind of Sheep Shearers to purchase, and from where. She has heard that the Yellow Handle Oster Clippers are the best, but she doesnt want to pay money on them to take a crap a couple days later.

What blades do you suggest as well for clipping sheep for show.?

you need the stablemate clipper by lister. Use the surgical blade (258-12552)
You will wash and shampoo lamb and clip the lamb when it is wet. Not dripping wet but damp after washing. If the lamb dries out wet them down again. this should be done the day before showing. Do not clip the leggs under the knee joints. you want that natural but trimmed nice like show cattle. Of course no glue.

P1010008-2.jpg

http://www.sullivansupply.com/texas/det ... x?ID=12411

I went on sullivan website and they no longer carry the stablemate clipper. They said the star clipper is what you want to get.

also here is a good pre show and show day drench--
once you make it keep in refrigerator or on ice,

2 bottles amino acid concentrate (sullivans supply)
60cc dyne (purchase at sullivans)
120cc Propolene Glycol (sullivan supply)
2pkg. Blue ribbon Merricks calf electrolyte (Merricks 1-800-637-7425)
1/2 pkg. NRG Plus (sullivan supply)

mix together in gallon jug
shake well
Fill the rest of the gallon up with water

Use this 2 weeks prior to each show
Day 1-3 one 60cc drench once a day
Day 4-5 one 60cc drench twice a day
Day 6-12 two 60cc drench twice a day
Day 13-14 four 60cc drench three times a day

day of show - Four 60cc drench in the morning
if you show later in the day you will want to drench again

This will keep the lamb hydrated and fresh the entire show.

I don't know about blades to use on a lamb, but stay away from the Lister Stars. They are good for one drop and they're done. Check Sullivans used and buy a set of the old school Oster hair heads. They're a little heavy but you could mow the yard with them. We also have a set of the newer 4000's with the interchangable heads and they're nice too.

show steer up":3h2ia8ui said:
you need the stablemate clipper by lister. Use the surgical blade (258-12552)
You will wash and shampoo lamb and clip the lamb when it is wet. Not dripping wet but damp after washing. If the lamb dries out wet them down again. this should be done the day before showing. Do not clip the leggs under the knee joints. you want that natural but trimmed nice like show cattle. Of course no glue.

P1010008-2.jpg

http://www.sullivansupply.com/texas/det ... x?ID=12411

I went on sullivan website and they no longer carry the stablemate clipper. They said the star clipper is what you want to get.

also here is a good pre show and show day drench--
once you make it keep in refrigerator or on ice,

2 bottles amino acid concentrate (sullivans supply)
60cc dyne (purchase at sullivans)
120cc Propolene Glycol (sullivan supply)
2pkg. Blue ribbon Merricks calf electrolyte (Merricks 1-800-637-7425)
1/2 pkg. NRG Plus (sullivan supply)

mix together in gallon jug
shake well
Fill the rest of the gallon up with water

Use this 2 weeks prior to each show
Day 1-3 one 60cc drench once a day
Day 4-5 one 60cc drench twice a day
Day 6-12 two 60cc drench twice a day
Day 13-14 four 60cc drench three times a day

day of show - Four 60cc drench in the morning
if you show later in the day you will want to drench again

This will keep the lamb hydrated and fresh the entire show.

Thank You for your help. Now the problem I have with clippers is they overheat, and then you have to let them cool, and by the time you are done clipping the lamb hates you and the stantion, and wants nothing to do with the clippers when you try and clip again becasue they are so hot. Do these clippers over heat??

Cowboy 2.0":38ndbcdq said:
I don't know about blades to use on a lamb, but stay away from the Lister Stars. They are good for one drop and they're done. Check Sullivans used and buy a set of the old school Oster hair heads. They're a little heavy but you could mow the yard with them. We also have a set of the newer 4000's with the interchangable heads and they're nice too.

But do the clippers you have overheat?? Even though you have dropped the lIster stars, do they still get the job done?? DO they overheat?

The stars break when you drop them. You have to spray oil on your blades to cool them off.

When i clip calves i will sometimes use the same blade for 20 minutes straight sometimes. So you can imagine the heat. i bought a can of Andis Cool Care(i might be wrong on the name) and it is like a 4 in one, Cools, Lubricates, Sterilizes, and something else... It comes in a big blue aerasol can you can buy at a farm store or online, it lasts forever too... i bought it 2 years ago and its still almost full

I'm not a big fan of cool lube. You add other things and it takes away from the lubrication needed for blade life. I like plain old clipper lube. It seems to work the best.

There is no doubt about it you need a can of clipper cool lube. It cools the blade down so you won't burn the animal. If you cannot set the clipper blade on your own forearm without it burning you, then the clipper blades are way to hot.
I use our clippers 14 to 18 hours straight for days on end and have never had them to the point it was so hot that it hurt the animals. Wipe off excess oil before placing the blade back on the animal. I use my pants, but a rag will work just as good if not better.
Any feed store will carry cool lube for blades.

just a note, when you spray the blades with cool lube hold the nozle of the can directly on the blade itself. Don't worrie you can never use too much, it's butter to over use than under use. spray both the bottom and top of the blade.
good luck.

and i want you to know I have been using and repairing clippers for over 30 years................just lube is a no no, when you are using surgical blades on animals. It is a must that you use cool lube. :D
I have clipper blades older than cowboy and have used them on countless amounts of animals. You see I was a professional dog groomer with three grooming vans and two shops. I also was an AKC handler and clipped show cocker spanials and poodles for a living. So trust me on this one. :)

Snider Angus......in a 20 min span of clipping I use the cool lube 3 to 4 times, your blades will hold the edge longer if you keep them cool and clean. Just today I spent five hours on clipping and I could put that blade on my arm without burning myself.You will hear the motor run faster after applying the cool lube. A faster blade makes a happier groomer, the job is a lot smoother without blade marks. I hope this helps.

I've got blades older than myself. I've used cool lube once and didn't like it. There is no sense in having sterile blades when clipping animals, surgical blades or not. Unless you are going to use those blades right before surgery, then I could see it to be necessary.

Latest posts