Clearing land of old metal (hardware disease prevention)

Help Support CattleToday:

nativo

Reaction score
My land has a lot of old metal laying around. What is the best way to rid the land of this crap.
Turning over dirt? Scraping off top? Magnets?
I just lost a cow today. Autopsy reveled numerous pieces of metal and the fatal nail.... This place was used like a dump in the past, I find things laying around everywhere....

Ideas?

We live next to the large creek in our county and it floods yearly. I have to hand pick a lot of trash..metal,glass,plastic. We just bought a finger/rock rake to pull behind a tractor. It would probley work with the large to medium size metal after you plowed it up or scraped it ,but with nails, you would probley have to use a magnet. Or you could just put magnets in the rumen.
I am sorry your having to put up with someone elses lazy ,inconsiderate rear end and sorry about your cow.

BARNSCOOP":1nkjsito said:
We live next to the large creek in our county and it floods yearly. I have to hand pick a lot of trash..metal,glass,plastic. We just bought a finger/rock rake to pull behind a tractor. It would probley work with the large to medium size metal after you plowed it up or scraped it ,but with nails, you would probley have to use a magnet. Or you could just put magnets in the rumen.
I am sorry your having to put up with someone elses lazy ,inconsiderate rear end and sorry about your cow.

Other then a real thorough poliching (FOD) walk the magnet is the best short term solution. Metal crap will be popping up for years.

You might look at getting a large magnet that can be mounted on a piece of equipment or truck bumper. Seems that I saw that Northern Hydraulics had some in their catalog.

i got the same issueon land i lease. we ahuled off the big studff but a guy on criagslist was offering to pick up all scrap. called him and told him to come help himself...we will see if he does or not..he could fill a dump truk wit all the wire and crap layin round.

Our place has tons of old wire and metal scraps as well. We've done a combination of: letting people come and take away wire and recyclable metal, picking it up by hand, attaching a giant hanging magnet to the front of the tractor, and putting magnets in the cows. We haven't had hardware disease yet, that I know of (knock on wood).

2/B or not 2/B":2gjs23ah said:
Our place has tons of old wire and metal scraps as well. We've done a combination of: letting people come and take away wire and recyclable metal, picking it up by hand, attaching a giant hanging magnet to the front of the tractor, and putting magnets in the cows. We haven't had hardware disease yet, that I know of (knock on wood).

yep we done all that..i ound alot of it when i went to clear a lot of myrtles. apparently the leaser before me replaced the fence..the old stuff went into heaps witha dozer...the brushcat didnt appreciate that. inch thick blades or not..ya wind enuff wire under there and itll stop just about anything..thanks god for torches

Nothing like having or buying a place that was previous owned by lazy scumbag trailer trash! On other hand, those places usually don't cost that much...lol.

Hook up your trailer, load all junk and haul to dump. Always have a bucket handy to pick up small metal, glass, plastic items as you walk around or drive around your place. Cleanup can take years to get all the small pieces... :mad:

In long run, cost to haul off junk is a lot cheaper than having a sick or dead animal. ;-)

If there is a recycler in the area, it might be well worth your while to collect the metal besides saving your cows. Try to find some free buckets or barrels for the small stuff. It wasn't in our pasture, but we recently loaded out a bunch of "we'll use this someday" metal junk we had acumulated. The trailer load brought $180. If we went to the dump with it, it might have COST $180 to get rid of it.

Running Arrow Bill":1olc5nh0 said:
Nothing like having or buying a place that was previous owned by lazy scumbag trailer trash! On other hand, those places usually don't cost that much...lol.

I can relate to that, we bought a 52 acre piece of land that was adjacent to our place.... an old guy own it but his meth head white trash son lived there. For whatever reason the druggie traded drugs for cars then parked them in the pasture for years :???: :roll: .

I gave 21 cars to a scrap metal hauler, and then had a cat come out and push a couple of inches off the top of the ground and pile it in a low spot.... which included spark plug nuts and bolts, glass, wheels, seats ect. It took up about 1/8 acre which I fenced off and now know where to throw all the cr@p I find elsewhere on the place.

I also fence just the area where the cars where and made it a small 2 acre pasture so I know where to police better. Right after the cat work my wife and a couple of our kids each took a bucket out to the bare ground and walk the area....we still got several bucket fulls. When it looked clear to all of us, we tilled it and walked it again with buckets. That was 6 years ago, and ever year a few things seem to work themselves to the top... as Bill said, it does take years.... but it was worth it.

Alan

Latest posts