Clearing fence line

Help Support CattleToday:

Check your state....both legislated and case laws.

Several states have..."Adverse Possession"..case law or statues which could cause you to loose land when used by a neighbor over years. That would include moving the fence line over on you.

MillIronQH":mfbsggpx said:
It's to bad that it's not cost effective to do it in fied fence and turn about 1000 of the old Spanish goats loose. In a year everthing closer then 6' off the ground, except the grass, would be gone.Z

I actually did this a few years ago. Used briar goats, they cleaned the place up well like you say. Only thing, once they cleaned up the browse they began to die from worm load due to our humidity. Learned a lesson there, should have sold them all before the plague hit. But they did do a good job and I didn't lose money. Didn't get rich either.

A bull dozer is the only way to go. Its the most cost efficient method. You can spray the brush before you doze. Or you can wait and see what comes back up and spray it later. You will use a lot less herbicide this way. Be careful around the desireable trees, not to dig to deep. If you watch what you're doing the wire can be pushed into the burn pile with the brush. After you burn, push the pile back together again with a blade on back of your tractor. After doing this several times the wire will become a ball which can be drug off with a chain or loaded on a trailer with plenty of help. Walk your pasture checking for the smaller peices and even staples. Hardware is not that big a problem, as cattle do not seem to like the tast of wire.

This reply is to the second half of the topic. If I had a legal plat to a peice of property that I owned I would put that fence where it should be. On the property line. If I pay for it, it's mine. When the neighbor,s not home, doze it down takeing all history with it. Put the new fence where it belongs.
"Good fences make good neighbors."

I use crossbow (Dupont) as a brush cutter....it will croak anything but a tree, and residual ground effect is minimal....i mix it at about 1 1/2 times reccomended strength and it works real well. the only problem is getting all of the dead stuff out of the fence.... you spray it in the early spring just when the stuff is starting to grow and it'll all be history in a couple of weeks. The nice thing is that any broad blade grass can grow right in the stuff, so there will be a resurgance of grass where you spray!

MillIronQH":188bot0h said:
It's to bad that it's not cost effective to do it in fied fence and turn about 1000 of the old Spanish goats loose. In a year everthing closer then 6' off the ground, except the grass, would be gone.Z

A friend of mine did that, except he tied the goats up in the area he wanted and at night, he brought them into the pens to protect them from the coyotes.

go to town and pay a couple of boys to do it. Im 18 and myself and my cousin did alot of that work dirt cheap.

CattleHand":2s347fsv said:
go to town and pay a couple of boys to do it. Im 18 and myself and my cousin did alot of that work dirt cheap.

Cattlehand, your they kind of guy I like to know. Did the same thing when I was younger. Now I just thank you young guys with cold drinks and cash money. ;-)

CattleHand":2kamzplu said:

That's exactly what we did. I got a quote for fencing about a mile of field fence around a portion of our perimeter from a guy (clearing included in the price). He worked for one day and gave up. Said I needed a dozer. His buddy was going to charge me an additional $3,000 for the dozer work. Got another quote from another fence contractor. Good price. I asked if he had a dozer. He said no, I have a Ford 8N and two boys with chain saws, machettes, and brush hooks. They did a great job. I was very pleased with the work and the price. I just plan to spray it each spring to keep the brush from coming back.

The key is finding someone who still knows how and wants to work.

I just recently bought a place and talked to the neighbor about helping with the fence. He told me he was not planning on messing with any cows, so I put the fence 5 " inside my property line. Now he can't connect to my fence unless he wants to own half of it.

garseer":1sysi0m1 said:
I just recently bought a place and talked to the neighbor about helping with the fence. He told me he was not planning on messing with any cows, so I put the fence 5 " inside my property line. Now he can't connect to my fence unless he wants to own half of it.

That's what I do but unless he has some awefully thin cows he won't have to. But you can take it down whenever you won't and you don't have to ask his permission.

Latest posts