clearing brush

Help Support CattleToday:

saltbranch

Reaction score
Just wanted to share this for those that might be interested. I recently bought a ratchet rake sold at Tractor Supply, website is http://www.ratchetrake.com
Fits on your skid steer or FEl bucket. I have been using it to clear brush on our place south of San Antonio. Works pretty darn good and for the price is hard to beat.
here is what I started with
imag0657.jpg

imag0658.jpg

same area as first pic
imag0660.jpg

imag0659.jpg

prickly pear
imag0725.jpg

imag0726.jpg

cleared about 10 acres over vacation while doing some hunting also
imag0743.jpg

imag0744.jpg

imag0745.jpg

I have about 40 acres to clear out and doing it a little each time on weekends. Hopefully we get some rain this year, want to try and get some of the WW-B Dahl planted in this liitle area and see what it does.

Looks like it did a heck of a job! My property has a significant population of shoebox-size rocks lurking just beneath the surface. Would they tear it up?

Ruark":tu0w9u71 said:
Looks like it did a heck of a job! My property has a significant population of shoebox-size rocks lurking just beneath the surface. Would they tear it up?
I doubt it, the model I have is made out of 5/8" thick steel.Right now Tractor Supply has them on clearance for 199.00, they are not going to carry the 72" model anymore.

Read your post yesterday called tsc 1st thing in the mornin . There are 3 in my area and the last one had 1 . I can't wait 2 strap it on & have at it. Looks like it'll do good on my sacrifice area .gonna try it out on some brush piles down back 'spose to be 0's to teens this weekend don't think i'll get to play in the dirt much. Springs comin shot that dumb groundhog son of a dirtpig. :clap:

That's s nifty device, Saltbranch. Does the dirt or debris moving up into the bucket ever interfere with the hold down straps?

James T":3ruli1kt said:
That's s nifty device, Saltbranch. Does the dirt or debris moving up into the bucket ever interfere with the hold down straps?
So far I have not had any trouble with dirt and brush interfering with the straps. I id have to tighten up some after the inital mounting once. I am pushing on some pretty thick brush, did have 1 metal hydraulic line get bent and crimped above the bucket bad enough to replace, but no problems with the straps The only thing I see strap wise so far is dirt build up on the winches. Sprayed them with water hose to clean them off,Sprayed some WD-40 on them when i took it off. Thing I like too is that when the 2" ratchets or straps do break/not work.Can be easily replaced with the 2" x 27' carge ratchet straps with wire hooks sold @ Walmart/Sams club /Trailer stores etc.Just cut it down to length.

Gonzo hope you like as well as I do

yah baby best 200 bucks I ever spent. It's ready for seed after one good pass. I'm try'n to make a summer pasture over a hill in the woods . It's been kickin my butt had this contraption on since monday an hour or so a day and now i'm doin the kickin. :tiphat:

Live in Corpus Christi during the week and Campbellton on most weekends :) Eagle Pass is about 200 miles west of us, have not been there in 4-5 yrs now. He in the oilfield there? Should be going nuts in that area

:???: No better yet he's border patrol ,real hornets nest down there :???: He's got 5 years till he retires , could be a long 5 years :drink:

Picked one up last Saturday.Strapped it on today,first chance to try it.What I learned(real quick)was the propane line was only 2'' under the driveway.At least it used to be! :devil2: That sure cut my play time short!Hopefully I'll get to try it on some briar patches this week end.
Russ

Now your really havn fun Russ , temps in the 40s here things are gettn to soft to play. you'll love it on brush what a back saver have fun.

I looked up the web site and they cross referenced which tsc stores stocked them. I called they had one and I drove twenty miles to pyrchase one. Not on sale in Burleson Texas. $ 349.99 for the six foot model. Explained they were sale priced near San Antonio but to no avail. The manager did say they have had them for two years and have not sold any.

Thanks for posting this Saltbranch. Sure is an interesting attachment. I watched the video and I can see why they used a skid steer. How hard is it to use on a tractor? Looks like it would be hard to see well enough to get the right adjustments. But it looks like you did a great job with a tractor.

Goodlife":2o9fnme3 said:
Thanks for posting this Saltbranch. Sure is an interesting attachment. I watched the video and I can see why they used a skid steer. How hard is it to use on a tractor? Looks like it would be hard to see well enough to get the right adjustments. But it looks like you did a great job with a tractor.

Was not really that hard to get the best angle to use, basically the way its angled in the video for forward push and back drag is what I do.I can see the outside edge of the bucket and RR. Once I found the 2 best angles that worked for pushing forward and back dragging, I put 2 marks on the "rod" that moves with the bucket. Not sure what you call it maybe a marker rod? Its alot slower on on my tractor than the Skid steer in the video for sure. My tractor is standard shift and I run in Low. But a day on the tractor is better than a day on the time card :clap:
Once I get all the "lighter" brush knocked out with the tractor I think I am going to rent a Skid steer and take vacation to hit the bigger stuff with the RR.

Latest posts