Cleanup bull

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
Here is the bull I am using for cleanup this year. He is a 2 yr old by LD Capitalist and out of a Connealy Earnan cow. I used him last year to clean on a few heifers and then a couple of stragglers in the main herd. I usually use one of my yearlings for cleanup but I was very impressed with how he kept the bull calves away from the cows on heat last year I thought I'd give him another gig this year. I usually use a yearling bull but the only problem I have with them is that they are not as dominant as the older bulls in keeping the bull calves at bay and the cow/heifer on heat gets a bit peed off with all the calves jumping them and then they don't stand for the young bull. They seem to get the job done but it does cause me a bit of anxiety at times. I would have liked to see how he develops over the next couple of years but people have been keen to buy him after I finish with him early next year so I am taking the money while it is there.
Hard to get a photo with his head up but got one when he was doing a bit of taste testing.

KenP1020590.JPGP1020592.JPG

We had a few LD Capitalist sons we sold as yearlings a couple of years ago. They were attractive cattle, easy to sell. Had a Capitalist daughter first calfer raised a nice calf, but came in open when we preg tested a week ago, which was disappointing because she was a nice cow.

Here is the bull I am using for cleanup this year. He is a 2 yr old by LD Capitalist and out of a Connealy Earnan cow. I used him last year to clean on a few heifers and then a couple of stragglers in the main herd. I usually use one of my yearlings for cleanup but I was very impressed with how he kept the bull calves away from the cows on heat last year I thought I'd give him another gig this year. I usually use a yearling bull but the only problem I have with them is that they are not as dominant as the older bulls in keeping the bull calves at bay and the cow/heifer on heat gets a bit peed off with all the calves jumping them and then they don't stand for the young bull. They seem to get the job done but it does cause me a bit of anxiety at times. I would have liked to see how he develops over the next couple of years but people have been keen to buy him after I finish with him early next year so I am taking the money while it is there.
Hard to get a photo with his head up but got one when he was doing a bit of taste testing.

KenView attachment 9615View attachment 9616
Good looking bull

Your cleanup bull is lots better than what most people are using for their entire herd, if you don't believe me, go look at the calves going through your local sale barn.

I will be inseminating the last group of 6 cows over the next two days but have been feeling the pinch a bit with inseminating and heat detecting. I had to work hard with every insemination this year, I've done 41 plus about 8 rebreeds. I find every year is different, this year has been a good spring and I think they have a lot of gas in them which has been making it difficult for my 70 yr old hands. I think I have missed successfully doing 4 of them so having a good reliable bull that I am happy with is important. One tip that might help someone is I have been using a small step about 4" high to stand on behind the mature cows, it reduces the rotation needed in my left hand arm and is a better angle to reach down to those heavy old cervixes. Just seems more comfortable to me.
My plan for future years is to give all one round of inseminations, put patches on the early ones and heat detect for one cycle then don't waste any time getting the bull out to try and keep a tighter calving period.

Ken

I will be inseminating the last group of 6 cows over the next two days but have been feeling the pinch a bit with inseminating and heat detecting. I had to work hard with every insemination this year, I've done 41 plus about 8 rebreeds. I find every year is different, this year has been a good spring and I think they have a lot of gas in them which has been making it difficult for my 70 yr old hands. I think I have missed successfully doing 4 of them so having a good reliable bull that I am happy with is important. One tip that might help someone is I have been using a small step about 4" high to stand on behind the mature cows, it reduces the rotation needed in my left hand arm and is a better angle to reach down to those heavy old cervixes. Just seems more comfortable to me.
My plan for future years is to give all one round of inseminations, put patches on the early ones and heat detect for one cycle then don't waste any time getting the bull out to try and keep a tighter calving period.

Ken
We are putting cidrs in the heifers tomorrow morning. Will be doing our AI on Nov 29

Latest posts