Cleanup bull prospect

Help Support CattleToday:

kentuckyguy

Reaction score
Here's a prospect for next years cleanup bull. He is out of a 6 year old cow that always cycles early and raises one of our biggest calves.
Sired by NJW Long Haul. Born March 9th

Photo taken April 13th

This one was taken a couple weeks ago

Does he have eye pigment? That would be a high priority if I were dealing with the white hair mix.

He has eye pigment.
I plan to wean him the first of September. I will get his weight then.

What is objectionable?
I'm not @BFE but looks like too much sheath. Points downwards pretty good.

To me, doesnt matter too much. Could just be cleaner? If that's the word...
Long as he does the job.

Wheres a new picture?
Less sheath here but not the greatest pic. Some dont like brahma-like sheaths. Too much leather?
20211003_124311.jpg
20210828_114740.jpg

Last edited:
What Murray said., points downward a lot. More chance hanging that low to be full of burs, etc., more chance for an injury of some sort.
Probably nothing as far as function. I'm sure he can get the job done easily enough.

I'll try and get some pics of him in the weaning pen. I agree he does not have the cleanest sheath but he will just be used for cleanup.

And honestly that's the only fault I can find in the bull. He's extremely docile comes from a great cow that holds condition all year long without need for supplements.

Wow, a bull with what used to be a normal length scrotum and you all are giving him a hard time. At least the testes are far enough from the body wall so the sperm isn't heat damaged. And he is a good looking bull conformation wise.

Wow, a bull with what used to be a normal length scrotum and you all are giving him a hard time. At least the testes are far enough from the body wall so the sperm isn't heat damaged. And he is a good looking bull conformation wise.
Not scrotum-penile sheath. Two different things.

Outside of being a little cow-headed (at least in the latest picture) I like him.
Will be interesting to see his calves.

So on his weaning weight. 683# at 209 days of age. 683-80 lb (av) BW = 603.
Divide by 209 days and he gained 2.88 # per day of age.
I like to figure that way, gives you a good daily gain average at least.
If you adjusted that to 205 da, it would be 591 adjusted weaning weight.

Just a little math exercise I do on our calves. I'm not trying to prove anything except
I like to play with numbers. Tells a story sometimes.

Latest posts