Cleanup bull prospect

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm gonna send him down the road if I can find somebody that needs him.

I usually only keep a bull till he's 16 or 18 months old. I try to breed most of my cows AI.

I usually have a yearling bull waiting around.

IMO the NJW cattle are some of best Polled cattle available for the commercial breeder. We AI to Ling Range and will AI one to Manifest soon. They have more frame than most polled cattle.

Outside of being a little cow-headed (at least in the latest picture) I like him.
Will be interesting to see his calves.

So on his weaning weight. 683# at 209 days of age. 683-80 lb (av) BW = 603.
Divide by 209 days and he gained 2.88 # per day of age.
I like to figure that way, gives you a good daily gain average at least.
If you adjusted that to 205 da, it would be 591 adjusted weaning weight.

Just a little math exercise I do on our calves. I'm not trying to prove anything except
I like to play with numbers. Tells a story sometimes.
We always add the birth weight back on after the above calculations to get a 205 day adjusted weight. To get fancy you're supposed to add weight for cows under 5 years old at time of calving.

We always add the birth weight back on after the above calculations to get a 205 day adjusted weight. To get fancy you're supposed to add weight for cows under 5 years old at time of calving.
This cow was 6 years old so I didn't adjust anything.
. If you add the BW back in, you don't find av daily gain and that's what I was after.

I adjust 209 days down to 205 days.
I can confuse anyone. 🤣
That is the way I do it. I was involved in the first weighing in our county in the 60's and that was how we did it then. When I sell a calf they don't subtract BW and neither do I. IMO they do that to help the low BW cattle.

To calculate 205, you take their scale wt minus BW, then divide by number of days old x 205, then add bw back in.

ADG is scale wt minus bw, divided by days old

WPDA (wt per day of age) is scale wt divided by number of days old.

I use only actual weights and a true soda of age adjustment and no adjustments for age of dam, ect.

To calculate 205, you take their scale wt minus BW, then divide by number of days old x 205, then add bw back in.

ADG is scale wt minus bw, divided by days old

WPDA (wt per day of age) is scale wt divided by number of days old.
Thanks Jean, thought I had lost my mind for awhile there!

Age adjustments can vary with different breeds. More for 2 yr old dams, less each year up to maybe 5-6 then nothing until they are aged, then they add some #s back in.
I used to do the calculations on the NY bull test - years ago. There is a standard adjustment with Beef Improvement Program.

Age adjustments can vary with different breeds. More for 2 yr old dams, less each year up to maybe 5-6 then nothing until they are aged, then they add some #s back in.
I used to do the calculations on the NY bull test - years ago. There is a standard adjustment with Beef Improvement Program.
Seems like I used to figure +60 for a two year old, +40 for a three year old and +20 for a four year old. I haven't had reason to do it for a few years though. Like FH, I do like the ADG numbers.