Cleaning the vulva

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
We have had some good discussions on AI procedures of late and was wondering what techniques people use to clearing the way and opening the lips of the vulva to ensure clean hygenic entry of the gun, it is something that I struggle with especially at that time of the year my cows are grazing a lot of forage cereals and can be a bit messy.

I go straight to the cow and put my arm in up to the wrist and 9 times out of 10 they will immediately defaecate around my hand and empty the rectum which I then start to wipe away with up to 4 double sheets of paper towel I have in my pocket trying not to wipe it into the vulva. They say to open up your hand and push down to the left to open the vulva lips but I have little success with that due I think to poor strength in my hands. I have seen on videos people using a sheet of paper towel placed between the lips to hold it open which I do now though I have trouble placing it one handed.

I'd be interested to hear of any variations of techniques people use.

Ken

I have the same experience you do. I have paper towels in my pockets. I lube the exterior around the anus. Insert left hand to wrist. Almost 100 % of the time, they defecate. I draw my hand out, let them finish. Go back in up to wrist. Wipe vulva with paper towel. Drop paper towel. Pull gun from under shirt. Insert gun. Then get contact between gun and tips of fingers.

I have no idea how anyone stays clinically sanitary. Just do the best I can. Have not had any metritis

Yes I think under a cows tail is the filthiest place on earth and I think the vagina has remarkable self cleaning properties however we are going that bit further and penetrating the cervix. I think the cervix does wipe a lot of bulk contamination as the gun goes through but our aim is to minimise that gross contamination.

Here is a video from Vetoquinol showing how to insert their Cue Mate pods, interesting use of the applicator handle to remove the gross contamination, I am thinking of adapting something similar to use when I inseminate to get rid of the bulk of the material making wiping with paper towel more efficient. It seems to drag the faeces away rather than with wiping a lot gets forced between the lips.
https://www.repro360.com.au/inserting-cue-mate

Ken

Hubby always wiped with paper towels, AI tech wipes then leaves napkin in vulva lips.
We use an EXTRA sheath with a capped tip. ABS sells them. It is shorter than the regular sheath. AFTER you enter the vulva, you pull back on the sheath (which conveniently has a nice wide lip at the end so you just reach up with two fingers) and by pulling it back, you pop the lid off the cover of the extra sheath. This sheath slides down out of the way and your gun w/ normal sheath is perfectly clean to enter the cervix.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2ym9q3ge said:
Hubby always wiped with paper towels, AI tech wipes then leaves napkin in vulva lips.
We use an EXTRA sheath with a capped tip. ABS sells them. It is shorter than the regular sheath. AFTER you enter the vulva, you pull back on the sheath (which conveniently has a nice wide lip at the end so you just reach up with two fingers) and by pulling it back, you pop the lid off the cover of the extra sheath. This sheath slides down out of the way and your gun w/ normal sheath is perfectly clean to enter the cervix.

I'll have to look into that Jeanne. I have shied away from anything extra to complicate things but like anything once you get accustomed to it becomes little hassle. I guess getting old I resist changing my routine. Maybe contamination contributes to early embryonic death.

Ken

It is a simple added step. You place the regular sheath on, lock it in, then place the shorter, capped sheath on. After you enter the cow & get close to cervix, you just reach forward & pull it back. It slides itself out of the way as you enter the cervix. You are assured of a clean sheath entering the open cervix.

You can get sheaths in plastic that you pull back as u insert. I don't use them.
If one craps after my hand goes in I use my gloved hand sideways and wipe straight down, then napkin, that's as sanitary as I get, no problems. I do rinse my cidr guns in novelsan after every cow, cidr guns can be very unsanitary.

Latest posts