Cleaning barn

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas Gal

Reaction score
what should I use to clean up in a shed after a sick calf - 3 wk old calf with respiratory
infection of some sort & had to be put down after unsuccessful treatment. The cow and calf were in a pen with a three sided shed w/ dirt floor.

About the best you can do is a heavy cholrine water mix sprayed to the point of run off. The floor will be tough. The same spray and another layer of 4-6 inches of clean dirt on top would be my method.
Since sun is the best sterilizer aorund, I wonder if some kind of high intensity lamp would have the same affect as the sun. (that's just a random thought)

Dun is right on. Only other things I might do is also put down a layer of hydrated lime before adding the new dirt and not use the pen for a while after treatment.

Yep chlorine or sun are the best - lime will work too but it is a hassle.

Dun UV light can disinfect - it is used IN CONJUNCTION with lower dosages of chlorine or bromine to disinfect pool/spa water and I have heard of UV disinfection for drinking water systems too, but it needs direct and close contact - doubt if there is any practical way to use it for disinfecting premises.

Hippie Rancher":r5k4e751 said:
Yep chlorine or sun are the best - lime will work too but it is a hassle.

Dun UV light can disinfect - it is used IN CONJUNCTION with lower dosages of chlorine or bromine to disinfect pool/spa water and I have heard of UV disinfection for drinking water systems too, but it needs direct and close contact - doubt if there is any practical way to use it for disinfecting premises.

Figured it wasn;t just being the sun, the UV rays makes sense. Maybe someone needs to infent a giant UV ray producer for sterilizing. I can think of a couple of people I would like to use it on.

10% bleach solution...just spray it on. We disinfect with it and flush with fresh water a few minutes later, when dry we rebed with fresh straw and leave the doors open to air out the barn. DMc

im wondering if ya might sprinkle chlorine, like pool shock for your swimming pool, around the floor and even on the walls, and sprinkle it with water, seems like it would sanitize rather well ?? would need to aired out well, id think...just an idea.........of course this would be done after everything had been raked and cleaned out down to the dirt. then let it dry and put new bedding down.

samm