clean sheath in AI bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

hornedfrogbbq

Reaction score
How many of you worry how "clean" a sheath bulls have? Have you ever experienced an issue or is this something that our old cowboys don't like to see but the actual downside isn't that important? I guess you could add they don't like too much "leather" under the bulls chin as well.

All things being equal, calves with a tighter skin will bring more than their loose leather mates. More so it seems the farther north you go to sell. So I guess the answer is yes I would want a bull that is cleaner.

bird dog said:
All things being equal, calves with a tighter skin will bring more than their loose leather mates. More so it seems the farther north you go to sell. So I guess the answer is yes I would want a bull that is cleaner.

But why? Is there some economic benefit of tighter sheath or tighter skin on the neck? Has anyone had any breeding issues because of it?

A buyer looks at it as added weight that won't be cut into prime meat. Buyers for the north country feed lots see it as Brahman and they won't do as well in colder weather.

The only breeding issues I have heard of are just related to the bulls tool hanging to close to the ground. They have to drag that through the tall grass and brush so it increases the odds of something getting damaged.

No need to confuse leather and sheath.

A sheath needs to be so that the male can breed but avoid damage. I would avoid any bull with a low set on the sheath for the damage aspect. To add to the discussion, I do not want a bull that is a "tool dangler" regardless of sheath position. I think it was Bonsma that related a bull with a dangling problem to issues to show up in his daughters udders. It was tied to a muscle weakness from the exhibition in the male.

Loose or a low sheath is a broken penis in the bulls lifetime from my experience.

Latest posts