Clarify the following: Purebreed and commercial,

Help Support CattleToday:

midtncattle

Reaction score
I see several classifieds claiming purebreed or commercial. Explain the difference. Will most purebreeds be registered?

Not all purebreds are registered. I have many in my herd that are purebred but not registered. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Commercial cows are generally used to produce offspring for butcher therefore registering offsring is a mute point. Many commercial herds contain registered stock and/or purebreds

Seedstock operations generally produce offspring with the "intent" for them to become breeding animals (cows and bulls), not all make the cut and they are sent to butcher or otherwise culled. Generally the those kept are registered as purebred or fullblood through a breed association.

Purebreds are animals that have been crossbred in the past and bred back to a parent breed to reach high percentage (84+%) genetics for that breed (ie cow A is 7/8 Black angus 1/8 herford). These animals can NEVER be fullbloods.

Fullbloods are 100% whatever the parent breed is.

Animals that are not high percentage in any breed are generally called crossbreds and are commercial cows!

Hope I explained that well enough to answer your question.

I agree with that crazyfarming gal.

I have Brangus that are pure and could have been registered. I have F-1 cross cattle and I have run of the mill something or another. For all practical purposes, this entire bunch is commercial.

Everything has a new name. There's always a horse trader trying to sell someone something or another.

Some breeds allow registration of animals that are not pure. To me the term pure implies there is nothing in the wood pile that would taint the breeding in any way. That may be opinion tho.

Crazy Farmgirl summed it up pretty well.

Like backoeboogie, my herd is a commercial herd. I have a coupld of purebred cows and the rest are crosses. Nothing I own is registered.

The place where I worked had all straight, pure Black Angus, many of the cows by/out of registered bulls but it was a commercial herd and the cows not registered.

Katherine

The American Hereford Association is requiring all bulls born after 1/1/2011 to be DNA typed before their progeny can be registered. I think this is a good thing rather than the watered down genetics showing up (eg "Black Herefords"). Pretty soon there will be few "purebreds" left to work with if something like DNA is not done.

I have cows that I bought as "straight" Herefords, but none were registered. I've since bought two registered heifers but more as an experiment than anything else since I sell freezer beef.

I have purchased registered Hereford bulls however and will continue to do so. Coming from a good breeder, they are known quantities and along with culling of my commercial cows will help me develop and grow the herd in the directions I want to go as I retain many heifers.

Jim

Latest posts