CJH Harland 408

Help Support CattleToday:

WichitaLineMan

Reaction score
Harland.jpg

http://www.millcreekranch.com/hereford/sires/Harland.htm

I've stated in the past that going by the picture, I was not a fan of Harland. I still don't like the picture.

I am changing my tune on the bull though. I have been through 2 herds recently and they both had a string of Harland daughters. Very nice females. Very moderate. Very good udders. And raising nice calves to boot. Really just moderate, functional cows with no real bottom end.

I am seriously considering using him on a small group of heifers. I was going to use UPS Domino 3027.

I like the looks of 3027 better from pictures but seeing the Harland daughters in the flesh has just about sold me. That and all the pictures of 3027 daughters that I see don't impress me too much. Anybody seen any 3027 cows in the flesh?

Any of you guys love or hate Harland?

Like I said, I was a doubter but am smart enough to change my mind when I need to.

We used Harland and yes his females are making great cows. Just as you said, mid framed, awesome udders, functional, sweet. We are using several sons. I am a Harland lover.

Ive used 3027 quite a bit, and have some calves on the ground right now. We like to use him on your fall herd because of his carcass traits. I really like the easy fleshing, easy calving of them with the moderation and milk bred in. The dam of 3027 is a SUPER nice udder cow as well. I however have never used Harland but the daughter i have seen were 7 7.5 frame type females. They were nice cows just had a lot of frame...it may have been the cow side producing that thou. I dont want to tell you what to do but i really like 3027 a lot better.

where did you all see the females that you liked so much - or what was the bottom side bred like on the brunt of them?

going to help a friend hay some crp starting 7/16 and he has some 3027 and harland females in production... i think he might even have calves crossed to both thse bulls too. i'll have to take a looksee. he has a pretty much venhuizen bred cowherd - will be intersting to see.

hereford_jock":7ec18amn said:
Ive used 3027 quite a bit, and have some calves on the ground right now. We like to use him on your fall herd because of his carcass traits. I really like the easy fleshing, easy calving of them with the moderation and milk bred in. The dam of 3027 is a SUPER nice udder cow as well. I however have never used Harland but the daughter i have seen were 7 7.5 frame type females. They were nice cows just had a lot of frame...it may have been the cow side producing that thou. I dont want to tell you what to do but i really like 3027 a lot better.

Can you post a few pics of the 3027 calves, please? Or if you're gunshy you can just e-mail them to me.

I have used both Harland and 3027 and like the calves of both bulls. My first 3027 daughter will calve this fall, she is thick and moderate. I have not been able to keep any Harland daughters they sell so well I have let them all go. I have 2 really nice Harland bull calves that I am excited about. I will post some pictures in a few days.

I used both Harland and 3027 this last spring, I'm glad to here Harland throws some moderate framed stuff, I only used him on my moderate framed older cows. I too would love too see some pics of any offspring of either bull. As Knersie stated, if you don't want to put your cattle out there for the nit pickers please pm me the pics or I'll pm you my email address.

Thanks,
Alan

I saw a total of about 40 Harland daughters all younger at two different places. There was no frame 7s in either bunch. Maybe one or two 6s. They were all very moderate. The bottom sides would have been mostly line one breeding, I am pretty sure. I was just out driving in the truck with the owners and didn't nit pick too hard on the breeding. I was looking at bulls and as is my habit always ask to see dams of bulls. Gives me a chance to see the dams of the bulls I like as well as the the rest of the herd (and therefor a pretty good insight on the breeding program). Both herds were in Oklahoma. I am afraid Knersie may have thought they might be a tad lacking in constitution, but I thought they were really nice.

I saw several Harland bull yearlings and was not nearly as impressed with the male progeny as I was the female progeny. I wonder if ABS offers sexed semen on Harland?

I looked at the cattle about a month ago. And just keep chewing over in my mind how nice the little cows were.

tlmcr":3hvm9gtg said:
I have used both Harland and 3027 and like the calves of both bulls. My first 3027 daughter will calve this fall, she is thick and moderate. I have not been able to keep any Harland daughters they sell so well I have let them all go. I have 2 really nice Harland bull calves that I am excited about. I will post some pictures in a few days.

Thanks. I am sure I am not the only one who'd be interested in seeing them.

I am afraid Knersie may have thought they might be a tad lacking in constitution, but I thought they were really nice.
:lol2: That happens when you look at too many L1s.

Latest posts