City kids, I tell ya what...

Help Support CattleToday:

I grew up in a poor time when everyone in my neck of the woods had to scratch for a living.Never got to complete high school cause I had to go to work to help the family survive.
Now from experience I can tell you you can make it without an education but you better be willing to bust your a$$ all your life. A lot of common sense can go a long way but it will never replace an education.
Several times in my life things would have been easier if I would have had a better education.
And you never get to old to learn.My wife a retired social worker with a college degree takes college courses on line yet today.She's in her 60's.And on the other hand my cattle still educate me every day. :lol: :lol:

Cal

Kindof on topic, or maybe not, I dont know.

When I was finishing high school my careers adviser and many of my teachers told me I was 'too smart' to be going off to uni to study agriculture. I was too smart to be a farmer and it was a waste.

I was expected to go to uni and be a doctor, a lawyer or a vet.

Kindof ironic, the vet school didnt agree with them :?

P's me off tho, the 'farmer' stereotypes

at the fair yesterday as i was pulling my steer around the back to let him walk around some a woman said "wow thats a big cow" i said no ma'am this is a steer. a bull thats been casturated. she proceded to tell me that there was no way that was a boy bc it didn't have horns... i didn't waste my time to tell her that cows and heifers have horns to. but i had to laugh about it. but my favorite is the little kids that omg there pooping/peeing. don't they do it too?

Keren":1acdkgz4 said:

Try being a farmer AND being from the deep south AND having a heavy southern drawl. My avatar perfectly depicts what sterotype we have to contend with. But then again, lemons to lemonade, this can be used to your advantage if you aren't too vane or self conscious. ;-)

Shoot - one of the best order buyers I ever saw was a lady. She knew her stuff as well - or better - than anyone else.
My late grandmother was probably the best gardener / chicken farmer there ever was. She could raise more and better vegetables on a small plot than you'd ever imagine. She was an organic farmer before anyone used that phrase.

Lol, i'm sorry Jo. I just hate when everyone thinks that just because you are a female that you can't do anything on the farm/ranch. :mad: When I'm not doing my own work, I'm a hot commodity around here. I'm better help then stinky boys. :D Plus, since a lot of time females are smaller with less muscle mass, we often find smarter ways to do things. Also, being female we have a maternal nature that helps you raise healthy animals, atleast I can notice slight changes in animal health when the rest of the family doesn't. I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, but I have noticed this a lot.

FarmGirl, the gender bias really isn't that prevelant here as we have several woman who are big farmers and cattlemen and people don't really view them any different. However I will say that women farmers seem to clean up a lot better than men but we don't view them any differently. Matter of fact, the third largest herd in our county is owned by a woman who has around 1600 head. She is brawn, smart, straight shooter and an excellent manager. I bumped into her the other day at the store and I hardly recognized her - all cleaned up and all. At 80, farm life has blessed her life and looks.

Jogeephus":3a4cso8o said:
Keren":3a4cso8o said:

Try being a farmer AND being from the deep south AND having a heavy southern drawl. My avatar perfectly depicts what sterotype we have to contend with. But then again, lemons to lemonade, this can be used to your advantage if you aren't too vane or self conscious. ;-)

Isn't it amazing how people equate the heavy southern drawl and slow manner of speaking with being stupid? I just can't help myself at times when people start acting like that. Seems that I just speak slower and slower. After all, it takes us stupid people time to think about the next word...

FarmGirl10":3oim15gw said:
Lol, i'm sorry Jo. I just have when everyone thinks that just because you are a female that you can't do anything on the farm/ranch. :mad: When I'm not doing my own work, I'm a hot commodity around here. I'm better help then stinky boys. :D Plus, since a lot of time females are smaller with less muscle mass, we often find smarter ways to do things. Also, being female we have a maternal nature that helps you raise healthy animals, atleast I can notice slight changes in animal health when the rest of the family doesn't. I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, but I have noticed this a lot.

A lot of the women in our area work the farms. Never underestimate them for their worth...

(And we all appreciate hot commodities) :nod:

grannysoo":3r3c6nu0 said:
Jogeephus":3r3c6nu0 said:
Keren":3r3c6nu0 said:

Isn't it amazing how people equate the heavy southern drawl and slow manner of speaking with being stupid? I just can't help myself at times when people start acting like that. Seems that I just speak slower and slower. After all, it takes us stupid people time to think about the next word...
alot of southern folks have a great sence of humor...... but as far as being sterotyped dont bother me, being raised in rural alabama........ive have seen it all..from moonshiners too mule skinners and ive seen fellers that would make that guy on your avatar look like sam elliot. :lol:

Jo & Grannysoo, I'm glad that all of you see it that way. I wish everyone would.

There have been many times when I stay home and work instead of going to the movies (or whatever everyone is up to). Heck, even my older brothers went and the parents were in the house for the night already. My dad eventually came out and helped me, this wasn't even anything I was told to do or even something that would benifit me. :oops: I just like clean barns and work shops. I always get stuck driving tractor when we have to use our more expensive machinary or borrowed machinary, apparently I'm a easy on equipent.

LoveMoo11":dm26b54z said:
Not that I don't love my Carhartt overalls.

Times are different. Years back the nearest place that sold Carhartts was 3 1/2 hours away so you had to get them out of a catalog. Back then Carhartts came with patches on the knees and elbows too. I still have some 30 year old bib overalls like that and all the young people want to know where I bought them. They've never seen them in the stores like that.

I don't remember seeing any women in Carhartts back then.

There is a front page article this week in the Capital Press (Northwest Ag paper) about women in ag. I forget all the statistics but the one that did stick in my mind is that slightly over 20% of farms in this state are totally owned and operated by women.

Dave":36heyrmw said:
There is a front page article this week in the Capital Press (Northwest Ag paper) about women in ag. I forget all the statistics but the one that did stick in my mind is that slightly over 20% of farms in this state are totally owned and operated by women.

There were a lot of famous cattle baronesses in the 1800's. Some were widows. Some were daughters of barons. Some were notorious boss ladies. Time Life Books has some interesting photos of ladies roping and branding their father's cattle etc. I think it is their western series and it is titled, "The Women."

grand chaser09":3v7gk8x8 said:
at the fair yesterday as i was pulling my steer around the back to let him walk around some a woman said "wow thats a big cow" i said no ma'am this is a steer. a bull thats been casturated. she proceded to tell me that there was no way that was a boy bc it didn't have horns... i didn't waste my time to tell her that cows and heifers have horns to. but i had to laugh about it. but my favorite is the little kids that omg there pooping/peeing. don't they do it too?
haha the fair is the worst! People always have the funniest questions and comments-as if she tried to tell you that you were wrong! :lol: :lol: Someone once asked me if they could watch when I milked my steer :roll:

Ryder":3l7cafxp said:
If they ever get the vote, there wont be any stopping them.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Ryder, do the polls in your area exclude them or do they just let them think they are voting and tear up their ballots after they leave. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Just kidding folks. We quite doing that after the fiasco in Florida.

Latest posts