City boy, here to learn.

Help Support CattleToday:

This doesn't seem like a great time to buy land, everyone is moving out of the city. It may be a better idea to lease as I am learning anyways. Thoughts on land?

We are 30 miles southwest of Fort Worth and developers around here are subdividing 40-100 acre tracts and selling 2 acre lots for $90,000. There is not any lease land available that I am aware of.

Hate to be a naysayer, but don't hardly see how one could buy enough land around Fort Worth to run cattle. I think you would have to move farther from the dfw metroplex in order to find land not so expensive. One would need a good paying job or rich to pay the expense of land, fences, barns, corrals, cattle, and other expenses.

With God, nothing is impossible. Aside from God what are you bringing to the table? Unless I missed something you have no cows.
You have no land. You have no experience with cattle. There is a wife of 12 years and no mention of possible children or other dependents.
By your own admission you are a clueless city dweller with a halfbaked plan. TIP> Never put yourself down or sell yourself short---
That alone is a recipe for failure so drop that from your life's resume. While one can receive and share some great ideas on CT I would
submit a high percentage of the successful cattlemen (women) on here were well entrenched before they found these pages.
Do you have relatives in the cattle business? Do you drink? Cattle with no land, truck or hat can be stressfull and is bound to draw the
attention of your neighbors and especially the banker who you will need unless your savings is so signifigant that you actually don't
need to raise cattle in the first place. It sounds as if you are looking for a change in your life's plans or goals. Review your skill sets and
abilities and if they can be applied to cattle then go for it, if not then consider being successful in another endeavor. Good Luck

If me all your money I can help you invest it wisely. No problem. 😁🤣🤡

Bahahahahaha! IM KIDDING!!!

Have you considered another area beside outside of Fort worth somewhere land maybe cheaper. Do your research land is a good investment all depends on the area. They aren't making any more and the price just keeps going up. The more you can buy the better. It's a better investment than your money sitting in the bank. You would need to research land prices in your area don't over paid for it.

I started in your shoes in 2015 and this forum has been a godsend. They have kindly answered every noob question I've thrown at them. I bought land just across the border in Oklahoma. More affordable and better rainfall than North Texas (although I love the nocona/Montague county area). 1 hr 17 minutes door-to-gate. good luck and pm me if you are interested in looking north :)

I always heard that you need a rich Aunt. I don't have one. My small area is 2.5 hrs N. Of Ft. Worth but p.m.. we could ride up 1 Saturday. Land there has exploded. The State has just approved $ to fund a new Lake. Be informed before going to far West. Water is gold. All weather roads are great, but we made it happen for years with a large UTV and hay buggy.

I'd suggest getting a job first working as a hand for a financially successful cattleman in your area (NOT a cattleman who looks or acts like he's financially successful.... BIG difference). Could be hard to find a job with this guy though, because he's probably doing it all by himself.

Doesn't have to be a big operation, and it might be better for you if it wasn't, because a smaller operation will probably have a better handle on how to get by with a lot less of the "big boy toys", simply because the bigger operation can more easily afford them, by spreading out the investment over a lot bigger numbers... economy of scale. If your goal is to eventually get started on your own, you're likely going to have to start small and make do without too...

A couple of years of working in the trenches, doing the grunt work, etc., will tell you if it's really for you and your family, and you'll learn most of what you'll need to know without the $$$$ investment. It'll also give you lots of contacts in the industry, and a network of local individuals to lean on for insight.

Remember that an education is never "free".

And THANK YOU for your service!!!!

Latest posts