City boy, here to learn.

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hi, Thanks for having me. I am a clueless city dweller with a half baked plan. I don't have cattle yet but have been thinking long and hard about it. I've been doing some reading, but would really like to get my hands dirty helping someone out in my area. My plan is to raise beef cattle. I'll be snooping around on here and asking questions until I get the courage to invest my savings. I obviously have a lot to learn, If anyone within an hour or two of Fort Worth would be willing to have a stranger come and give you a hand on the weekends I would be grateful. I am not afraid of hard work. Ive spent plenty of time as an infantryman in the mountains of Afghanistan, but don't have a clue about farming/ranching.

W
Hi, Thanks for having me. I am a clueless city dweller with a half baked plan. I don't have cattle yet but have been thinking long and hard about it. I've been doing some reading, but would really like to get my hands dirty helping someone out in my area. My plan is to raise beef cattle. I'll be snooping around on here and asking questions until I get the courage to invest my savings. I obviously have a lot to learn, If anyone within an hour or two of Fort Worth would be willing to have a stranger come and give you a hand on the weekends I would be grateful. I am not afraid of hard work. Ive spent plenty of time as an infantryman in the mountains of Afghanistan, but don't have a clue about farming/ranching.
Welcome to CT! Lots of Great information here!
I'm to far away,but if you have any questions I'll try and help just like the most of us.

The search in the right hand upper corner will answer a lot of questions as well as current members/experts. There are Doctors, Lawyers, Vets, retired oilman, forestry, politicians and experts in about every field.

Our ranch is West and South of Fort Worth and according to Google is a little over a two hour drive. You are welcome to engage in conversation with us regarding ranching in general, cattle, fencing, barns, corrals, chutes, etc. Send me a private message with your email address and perhaps a phone number and we can get this project going.

The best thing for you is to find a mentor in your area. Someone that you can visit their operation and pick their brain. Being willing to help out for free in exchange for knowledge like you offered it a great idea. You learn a lot by doing and seeing. Some things you just can't get from books. Wish you were closer, none of my friends want to talk about cows, :confused:

Thank y'all for the warm welcome and great advice! And, yes. I will be very cautious about sinking my savings into an operation. The plan is to go slow. Hopefully get some experience and mentorship from someone in my area over the next year or so and then start with a very small operation and go from there. This doesn't seem like a great time to buy land, everyone is moving out of the city. It may be a better idea to lease as I am learning anyways. Thoughts on land?

Hi, I've been in your shoes, almost 20 years ago. I have Longhorns, yard art LOL, but they are wonderful. My big pets and a good X-tra revenue source. Know that you should have, at the very least, 10 good, grassy acres and a very good natural water source (sources) to even get started.

Check around for some good grass land in yer area, rent at first w/contract to be safe. Make sure there is water easily available and all weather access. If you don't have or want haying riggs check on prices of that too. All the support for your coon to be cattle should be in place first.

Check around for some good grass land in yer area, rent at first w/contract to be safe. Make sure there is water easily available and all weather access. If you don't have or want haying riggs check on prices of that too. All the support for your coon to be cattle should be in place first.

Thank you. What do you mean by all-weather access? I assume you mean that it is accessible in adverse conditions?

I ranch a couple hours south of the Metroplex. Your welcome to come visit and then we can decide the next step. Rancher has a good idea but unfortunately its darn near impossible to find any lease land in our area. I know, I have tried for years. PM me and we can set up something.

I ranch a couple hours south of the Metroplex. Your welcome to come visit and then we can decide the next step. Rancher has a good idea but unfortunately its darn near impossible to find any lease land in our area. I know, I have tried for years. PM me and we can set up something.
PM Sent. :)