CITRUS AND CATTLE?

Help Support CattleToday:

cmf1

Reaction score
I was eating a satsuma (kind of like a tangerine) in the field today and throwing the peelings on the ground.
One of the cows sniffed it for a second and gobbled it and started looking for more. Another came over and did the same.
They both started looking for more and I threw a section of the fruit on the ground and one of them gobbled it up and wanted more.
One more section was all I was willing to share and she loved it.
Started thinking about the acid in them and wondered if it was citrus was harmful to rumen balance.
Anybody have any experience or knowledge of citrus and cows?
Just wondering.
They sure did like it.

As long as it's not fed in bulk it's good for them and they will adjust. One place we have is an old orange grove and the citrus trees provide a good source of winter energy sort of like corn. Starting about now through the end of December, when they can reach the fruit anymore and it's not dropping off the trees as steady.

usf says its second to corn..75% tdn. alotta feeds have a base of dried citrus. its true it isn't a great standalone feed since on a good day its about 9%. but as far as rumen it can be a stimulant and it will increase the digestibility of some of the lessor winter forages. lotta carbs lotta bulk...itll put weight on em cheaper than any other feed.

meh...

That's good to know.
I had a bumper crop this year and may not finish them all. Friends picked, neighbors picked, I picked, still a mess of them there.
Might give them each one or two tomorrow while I'm eating mine.

in the old days of fl the ranchers kept a broom handle handy when feeding whole fruit...to push it on down their throats...it will give them loose poop if fed as whole fruit. only because of the water content. the sugar is good and its a high fiber but its low in protein. high energy tho short time

Her I sit eatin a jap orange @ 10 bucks for 5 lb and you are feeding oranges to cows. I have a jug of orange juice in frig but no vodka I think I will have to go to town tomorrow, thanks for reminding me the cold must be getting to me -32c today. :lol2:

Cull citrus used to be a common supplement here but there are so many dairies here now that pay for it that it's almost impossible to get as it's under contract before it's picked. You do have to be careful with that blue mold that citrus grows. It won't hurt the cows but it is a mild form of penicillin and if they eat enough of it you can have potential withdraw problems. It would take a bunch but if you feed it free choice and get one or two that hog it the potential is there.
Tamarack, Jap citrus??? Say it ain't so! :lol: If we didn't have a quarantene going on right now I'd send you a couple of sacks of REAL citrus so you could see what you're missing out on. ;-) This time of year I have to stay out of my trees until they pick. The fruit is like candy right now and I can't help but eat it until I get the screaming shyts. :lol:

cow pollinater":2iaftzmh said:
Cull citrus used to be a common supplement here but there are so many dairies here now that pay for it that it's almost impossible to get as it's under contract before it's picked. You do have to be careful with that blue mold that citrus grows. It won't hurt the cows but it is a mild form of penicillin and if they eat enough of it you can have potential withdraw problems. It would take a bunch but if you feed it free choice and get one or two that hog it the potential is there.
Tamarack, Jap citrus??? Say it ain't so! :lol: If we didn't have a quarantene going on right now I'd send you a couple of sacks of REAL citrus so you could see what you're missing out on. ;-) This time of year I have to stay out of my trees until they pick. The fruit is like candy right now and I can't help but eat it until I get the screaming shyts. :lol:
cp-

Screaming I understand - shyts is a modifier - - but I understand that - also! The easy answer to that problem is -"Moderation in Everything!"

DOC HARRIS

cow pollinater":1absgbs2 said:
Man CP the way I feel I just might leave this north hell and come over and eat at your place. My neighbours all left for Bahamas and left me in charge just got in, all the cows broke out and are 2mi from their home and the snow is too deep to drive truck and tractor is not plugged in and it is -32c. 150hd of stupid cows all over I think a wolf came after them and spooked all. will have to wait till daylight and straiten out this mess :mad:

I was wondering how you were doing up there Tamarack.. I guess that answers it. Would you close the door though :p Don't forget to put a heater in your freezer :p

Hope the cows don't give you too much trouble in the morning, and stay warm!

Yeah you should not give them this kind of food because it can damage the intestine of the cow or any of the animal. Thanks

Goiderearsur":or46b1es said:
Yeah you should not give them this kind of food because it can damage the intestine of the cow or any of the animal. Thanks

you have no idea what you are talking about troll :dunce:

jedstivers":xnnukaic said:
Goiderearsur":xnnukaic said:
People are animals too. Guess we can't eat citrus either.

Sure ya can--just make sure someone nearby has an old broom handle handy..

:mrgreen: :lol2:

Latest posts