Circular Saw

Help Support CattleToday:

Quellari

Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good circular saw?

I am considering buying used off of craigslist, does anyone think it's a bad idea to pick up a bundle of tools that a contractor is selling (Circular saw, hammer drill, sander, etc.)? Or to buy a used circular saw in general?

Just know your models and brands and worth and difference between tradesman models and handyman models. Handyman models can be OK but I would only buy them brand new with long warrantees.
If investing in power tools I would consider the battery powered range where the battery is common to other tools in the range but again I would only buy brand new as batteries are continually improving. Most of these will perform just as well as the mains powered ones but you have so much convenience.

Ken

I have one of the cheapest ones.....it comes with a good warranty for home use, and basically not a lot more than buying just a blade.

I have used it to cut a lot of wood.

So, no, I would not buy a tradies used gear, as it is prob very well worn with no warranty.

https://www.cpooutlets.com/?ref=msn&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=msn&utm_campaign=sch_br_cpo&utm_content=cpo_website_ex&utm_term=cpo%20website&msclkid=713606e7d6761752f87b58dd794d3a9c&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SCH_CPO_BR_CPO_Gen&utm_term=cpo%20website&utm_content=CPO_Website_Ex

I have bought a lot of tools from CPO the re-conditioned ones looks like new and same warranty.

Quellari said:
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good circular saw?

I am considering buying used off of craigslist, does anyone think it's a bad idea to pick up a bundle of tools that a contractor is selling (Circular saw, hammer drill, sander, etc.)? Or to buy a used circular saw in general?

Just test them out and get a good price..... New brushes will put them back in like new condition most of the time. They sell good AM cords for less than $15, if needed, that is as good as OEM.

A good saw like a Milwaukee is not that expensive for a tool that will last a homeowner/farmer a lifetime so why scrimp unless its just something for occasional use? I have had my Milwaukee saw for over thirty years and it still runs like new. The only thing I have had repaired was the cord when my father law cut it in half. If you are young, when buying tools, buy the best quality you can afford. Also buy contractor grade. I prefer Milwaukee or Makitas.

I've had good luck with Makita saws. The last time I looked you could get one for about $100. Unless you're using it for a living you'll probably never need to replace it.

As I'm thinking about it, I bought mine probably 20 years ago. I don't know if they've changed them since then.

We bought a Black and decker skilsaw about 35-40 years ago.. we still use it all the time

One thing I would pay more attention to now is the weight, if you have to do a lot of 1 handed stuff shaving a pound or two off sure makes life easier

Nesikep said:
One thing I would pay more attention to now is the weight, if you have to do a lot of 1 handed stuff shaving a pound or two off sure makes life easier

If the sawyer had paid more attention to begin with he would still have 2 hands.

gb, not sure that's what nesi was talking about, but i've known a few folks that used saws and don't have full fingers anymore.

greybeard said:
Nesikep said:

If the sawyer had paid more attention to begin with he would still have 2 hands.

I can still count to 10 and not need to use my pecker or my toes!

No, I mean if you're on a ladder and you have to trim a board, a light saw is very much easier on your wrist... cordless ones are even nicer for that

I have a B and D that I bought from my brother years ago, but I would trade it for a Makita, those things are light. But mine only sees occasional use.

I agree with others; I would be hesitant of buying a used power tool. If I knew the previous owner and how it had been used, maybe.

But what are you really asking?
Corded or cordless? Buying anything cordless used is a greater risk because of the battery. And battery amp/hour is a whole other rabbit trail we could go down.
Used occasionally or making a living with the tool? If only used occasionally I doubt it makes a huge difference as long as it is a known brand name like Makita, Delta, B&D, Skil, etc... Put a Good blade on it and you should be fine. I would never recommend buying an off name power tool. Period. All 15 amp rated tools do not produce the same power. Period.
If you are using it regularly and especially if you are making a living with it don't let price be your main choice determinant.

Latest posts