Cinches

Help Support CattleToday:

Mohair is pretty good, if you take care of it.

Mohair is pretty good, if you take care of it.

What about neoprene type cinches? The horses we had in the past were quarter type with good withers. We have a mule and a quarter/Morgan type mare. If think we have the saddle fit properly for the mare but she's kinda round over the withers. My wife had a neoprene type cinch on the saddle and it doesn't seem to hold the saddle in place very well. Would the cinch be the problem or am I missing something?

Have you ever been to Capriola's shop in Elko? A person can spend some time in there just looking. And after drooling on things you could spend some real money too.
I have not. Never was much of a traveler, and even less now. The "tack" available around here is pretty low quality. I am relegated to shopping online.

What about neoprene type cinches? The horses we had in the past were quarter type with good withers. We have a mule and a quarter/Morgan type mare. If think we have the saddle fit properly for the mare but she's kinda round over the withers. My wife had a neoprene type cinch on the saddle and it doesn't seem to hold the saddle in place very well. Would the cinch be the problem or am I missing something?
A mule, or low withered horse (the mule is gonna be harder to fit), calls for a high qualty felt pad, and a well made cinch. Your gonna experience slippage, no matter what you do. You just want to do all you can to minimize it.

A mule, or low withered horse (the mule is gonna be harder to fit), calls for a high qualty felt pad, and a well made cinch. Your gonna experience slippage, no matter what you do. You just want to do all you can to minimize it.
I think we're good on the saddles and pads so do you think one type of cinch may help better than another?

I used quality mohair cinches for decades but switched to neoprene for a mare who was easily galled. Resolved her issues plus keeping it clean was a simple matter of hosing it off. Made me a believer.
Agree with Dave...Capriola's is remarkable. .

here is the cinch I have been using for about ten years.....got a new saddle and so I bought a new cinch this past weekend....

I have not. Never was much of a traveler, and even less now. The "tack" available around here is pretty low quality. I am relegated to shopping online.
Bigfoot, there are some things that a person just needs to make the effort to see at least once in a lifetime. For a cowboy or any person with horses a trip to Elko to Capriola's is one of them. Do it during the Cowboy Poetry Gathering to kill two birds with one stone. I could go on for a while on other things. I know two on my list of places yet to see are the Grand Canyon and the Alamo.

If you need any rigging for a mule. I would reccomend Steve Edwards website. He is a good mule man. Puts clinics on all across the U.S.

I hosted a clinic that he put on 7 or 8 years ago. I bought one of his mule saddles and the rest of my tack to set my mules up with.

I use both front and back girts sinched real snug on back girt as well. With his saddle and girts i never had any problem with the saddle sliping. And we 90 % of the time road in steep ruff mountains.

Latest posts