CIDRs

Help Support CattleToday:

Re: CIDRs
by bandit80 on Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:37 am

I use my once and toss them. I am always concerned about storing them in a dry environment. If those of you who use them twice have good results, how do you store them inbetween breeding seasons? This year, I will have a spring and fall breeding season where I will use CIDRs. How do I store them over the summer so I can use them again in the fall?

I have had good results by washing them after use in water only.(no Soap) Lay them out until completely dry and storing them in gallon storage bags or some type of sealed containers in a cool dry dark inside place. I usually also notate on each bag used once on a certain date but that is just a personal preference so I will know what I have. Personally I have never had any problems with my cattle when doing this and it cuts my CIDR costs in half. You really just need to do what you feel comfortable with. Im just relating my experience with them.

Circle H Ranch

Use them twice wash and disinfect then store as cattleman 200 says. Just tie a knot in the string to tell you it has been used once already

Red Bull Breeder":89w68zb2 said:
Use them twice wash and disinfect then store as cattleman 200 says. Just tie a knot in the string to tell you it has been used once already

I asked our Vet about it a couple years ago and he said to do exactly what you have said you do. So, that is how we do it.

I haven't been on here for about 3 or 4 months, what is the deal with the attitude of Dr. Know (Topcat)?

Our cidrs are 20 bucks a pop, probably more as I haven't bought them in a while. While working with the embryo group I was told to swish in clean water after removal and you can use one more time.
But they suggested not on flush cows again but will be strong enough for recips..

If they said to use only once, than that is what you do, why risk it after all of the time spent into sync'n an animal.

Since we breed the heifers 30 days prior to the cows, we use new ones in the heifers and clean and store as noted before and then reuse them on the cows. Have only been AI'ing for 2 years but seems to work ok.

We use them 2X. Seems we were told to only use 1X back when they first started producing in the US. But from the oustset of the US mfg'd ones, most of my friends around here were using them 2X. I've even heard of folks using a second time around on their donors.

I'm glad to hear most are using them twice. I rarely use them, but had heard the "new" US ones could only be used once, so that's what we've done. At that expense, I'll gladly clean them & use again.
BUT - - other than recently using them for recips - basicly the only time we have used them was on cattle that weren't cycling. It DEFINATELY got them to cycle, but I have NEVER gotten a pregnancy from that heat. They always settle on their next natural heat.
Sooo - this year if I have something that needs me to use a CIDR, I'll just wait 3 more weeks to breed, or bring them back in with Lutalyse.

We use them 2 x and store them in a feed bag . I just put the bags in my shop .

We use ours twice and wash them and disinfect them after first use. I will have to do the knot trick that seems simple to keep track of. When we were using the ones from other countires you could use them four times. FDA lower the amount of progesterone allowed on them in the US.

How many use them on heifers? We have always fed mga and given a shot to synch heifers.

Jeff

We use them twice. We use them on Heifers and Cows. Not noticed a difference. Seem to be right on track. They actually told us about it in AI school. However, to keep from spreading diseases etc. they get pulled from the cow/heifer, (have 3 buckets already set up) go into bucket 1 with water and disinfectant. Get scrubed with a stiff brush then go into bucket 2. Get scrubed lightly with a second soft brush then rinsed one more time in bucket 3. They get completely dried and put in the original packaging and stored as the new ones are stored. We label the bags they come in. New, Reused etc. Has worked VERY well for us. Makes your sync cost go down a little bit.
Brought in a cow once (from a client) to breed. Found out later that it had an infection. Had I not done the disinfectant the vet said it WOULD have been passed to the cow that got the repeated CIDR and all cattle that the applicator came in contact with. Also now rince the applicator before and after each cow.
Just be sure to keep all disinfectants from Vacination guns and semen handling supplies! Had a friend make the mistake of using disinfectant to steralize his syringe guns. Found out the hard way and had to get rid of ALL his syringes. Found that it killed the vaccines. Bummer.
Double R

we have use cidrs in our hiefer for 3yrs. we have reued about 80% of ciders. it seem to have almore infections. the cids seem to big for hiefers. we take to clean our ciders. then we have a hard getting the hiefers breed to the bulls. we get about 60% on ai with the cider. but we 15% not breed after bulls for 45 days.