CIDR installation

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Well....I feel pretty good. Saturday I started the A.I. protocol for 5 heifers. I am using the Fixed Time A.I. protocol. I was a little worried about how the CIDR insertion would go. It was a breeze. I should not have been worried at all. I will remove them next saturday and administer a shot of Lutalyse then on Monday I will A.I. and administer another shot of GnRH. I am trying to keep my timing on this as close to the suggested times as possible so to A.I. at the specific time that I want to on Monday I have to get up at 4:00 on Saturday and pull the CIDR's and inject the Lutalyse :(.........I only like getting up early if ther is huntin to be done.

HerefordSire":3h4ik71m said:
Do you think the major heat wave will reduce your successful percentages for springers?

Maybe. The weather is supposed to be mid 80's and low humidity the rest of the week and the cattle have plenty of shade so I hope it will work out. I wanted to do it earlier in the year but I wanted the heifers to put on more weight and the youngest to be 15 months old.

Red Bull, your reply is a fairly obvious statement that, unless I am missing something, has nothing to do with the subject of the post.

I don't think there is anyone on this board that would disagree with your statement, including myself, but it sounds like Hoss has done his research and has decided that in his situation with his program that a timed AI protocol will work best.

Anytime you have options, you have to weigh the pros and cons of each option and decide what is best for you. Anyone choosing timed AI is sacrificing conception rate so that heat detection is not needed. Like you, I would never do a timed AI program for my cows, but I do understand when the situation dictates that it is best.

Red Bull Breeder":1r16mhs8 said:
Sync them and heat detect and i think you will have better conception. At least that has been my experence.

Red Bull, this would be my preferred method but right now I am limited on my time to watch for signs of heat. I decided to use the timed protocol so I could plan my availability to AI in advance.

Hope it works for you Hoss just haven't had much luck with it my self. They will be some come in earlier and some later. Might do better with heifers.

Red Bull Breeder":3i51075i said:
Hope it works for you Hoss just haven't had much luck with it my self. They will be some come in earlier and some later. Might do better with heifers.

This is supposed to be the Beef Heifer Protocol from the Beef Reproduction Task Force in their 2008 manual. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Latest posts