CIDR + Fertagyl Affect Late Term Pregnancy?

Help Support CattleToday:

dbird33

Reaction score
Will implanting a CIDR and giving a shot of fertagyl harm a late term pregnancy?

I am setting up all 25 2+ year old cows tomorrow on the 7 day Fixed Time protocol. One of the cows has not calved and is not showing. She tested bred last July just before an extreme heat wave. A month later she stood. I have been planning on taking her in for palpation, but the rains haven't stopped and it's a real chore to get a trailer to my lot. The plan would be to pull blood tomorrow right before implanting the CIDR and send in for preg test and determine then whether to give Lutalyse depending on the result. I'm 99% sure she is open and have heard CIDR + GnRH are safe.

Any experience with this?

I think you will be fine, cidr will only make her think she's bred. Gnrh I think is like a shot of water if not needed

I inserted a CIDR for seven days in a 15 month old heifer in prep for breeding. gave her a shot of Lut when I removed the CIDR. no heat so I had the vet check her. ended up she was 7 months pregnant. I told the vet "NO WAY" since I don't have a bull on the farm and she would have been nursing on cow when she got bred. Well, two months later she had a calf. If she is bred, You will be fine.

Yes I can't see it doing any harm but why don't you put your arm in and have a feel if late pregnant it will be easy to feel the hard boney foetus.

Ken

Latest posts