Chute prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Double R Ranch

Reaction score
I have just recently bought a squeeze chut setup. I want to be able to help the people that I know who don't have one by allowing them to run there cattle threw it for a minimal fee. I don't know what these fees are except that I know that the auction yards around this area do so as well. I also do not know yet if this is even a good idea. Thank you in advance for your generous input.

Well, I use a Hi Hog parallel squeeze and I love it. I also bought a trailer for it - so I can move it around from one chute to another - we have three separate farms. It never goes from one place to another until it has been steam cleaned and disinfected.

The problem I have with your plan is the potential for transfer of disease. While the idea is sound and the chance to pay for it is a good thing - what about the health of your own animals? I am always leery of what a new animal can bring onto the farm.

We do not allow any new animals on the main farm until they have gone through a quarantine period in isolation. Perhaps it is over kill - but having seen some wrecks I grow even more cautious as I grow older.

There is also a liability aspect as mentioned by Cherokeeruby. Litigation from an injured party can break your bank with nary a blink. I think I would look into this much, much closer.

A neighour who looses an animal or breaks a leg may or may not sue his friend. But if you are a business - well, you are now a target.

Just my thoughts. Best regards,

Bez

Sounds like an interesting idea, perhaps if you steam cleaned it, rinsed it with a bleach solution prior to each use you could decrease the risk of disease. Regarding lawsuits, someone here on the board probably sells insurance. Risk and conflict are everywhere, they just need to be managed.

Let me know how it works out !

I almost forgot, just set your prices high enough to absorb the additional costs. The only question is wether or not their is a market.

I thought about purchasing complete portable working pens and renting them out to people. Just do not know if their is a market or not.

Well I have 3 people that want to use it I just don't know what to charge. My ranch insurance covers my liability. That is the only thing that they can sue for is if I am responsible for the insident. As far as the disease factor, I know the cows and know what is going on with them at all times. If there is any chance I won't allow it. These people are people whos cattle stay on there property and there are no incoming animals nor neerby neightbors. So I think that if I could come up with a price it should work out. Plus I always wash my set up so it would not be an issue to use a little disinfectant. (helps in the life of the equipment I have found if it is washed regularly)
Thannks you all for your input. Look forward to hearing more!

Double R:

Now that I have this additional info - I have some thoughts.

If the neighbours run what I call closed herds and a vaccination protocol - then I do not have much objection to the plan at all. Especially if you know them and their animals. Initially I had the thought that you could end up much like a sale barn - with cattle coming from "heaven only knows".

I believe the money should equal the use and the inconvenience. I am presuming you are planning to be there during the operation of your chutes and squeeze. I'll throw some figures out to you. They may be considered "just some thoughts" and may change - but it's at least a point to start.

My thoughts would be to decrease the charge per head as the numbers of animals increase.

So why not something in the neighbourhood of:

1 - 5 animals: $10 per head

6 - 20 animals: $8 per head

21 - 50 animals: $7 per head

51 - 100: $6 per head

101 and up: $5

So, if I was to run 55 head through your chute I would owe you $375.00 Hope my early morning math is correct! :)

While this is considered a small business enhancement there is one thing I would add. My wife is of the opinion whenever someone comes to our place - contractors, hired hands, cattle purchasers, etc - they are required to sit at our table and eat - lunch - supper and so on. Keeps them coming back. But that is just our way I suppose.

Caveates to this.

You do not supply the wranglers - the owners do. I would be on hand for the unloading, sorting, and such. I would run the chute unless you have confidence in the client doing this. I would not do the cattle handling or doctoring - that is the responsibility of the client. And I darned sure would have it set up NICE - no shortcuts! Loading / unloading ramps, high walls on the chutes, pens, sorting lanes into and out of the chute, separate calf chute (no turn-arounds!) and so on. But I will not bore you with that.

I may be a million miles off what you are thinking - but somone had to put an actual number to this from what I was reading - now if there is any discussion, the numbers can easily be changed.

Final thoughts to this - you might not want to charge cash - you might need some work done that could be worth a barter - run their cows through in exchange for working / planting some land - or whatever. It works well in this area.

Over to you for comments as required.

By the way folks - we got a frost last night. My wife was scraping ice off the truck windscreen this morning at 0600.

Best to all,

Bez

My guess is that you are mainly going to have small time guys (like myself) who are going to be customers. Most folks who have over 20-25 head are gonna be set up with all the equipment. I would pay 10 bucks a head to run my 7 cows through there, and you keep the chute all yr and have to store it and maintain it all yr. Sounds reasonable to me.

By the way, not to nit pick, but here in the States, 55 x $6= $330! I think you missed the quantity discount, and were paying $7 a hd!

But for what it's worth, I would pay to use someone elses setup, just not the salebarns set up for the obvious reasons mentioned.

:D :D

G'day Eric!

I just knew in my heart that I was going to make a mathematical error! It was just too early in the morning. I could edit it - but will leave it to show I am ready to laugh at myself when I screw up.
:D
:D :D

Suspect you are correct in your assessment, but I know a few bigger folks around here who still are not really well set up.

I am following this closely, because I have an almost escape proof set up with decent access - have not considered hiring out because of my mentioned concerns. But ...... I wonder if there is any money to be made?

I'll just keep on watching and seeing what others have to say - it's interesting to get other opinions.

My best,

Bez

8) First of all let me say thanks for all who have been writting. I thought that I wasn't going to get anywhere. I do think that there is a little money in this idea, I also think that it helps to regain some of your losses when purchasing such a set up. I would never just let animals on my property that I didn't 100% know about. The aboved mentioned prices sound very resonable. Hope the discussion keeps on going cause I really would like everyones opinion! Thanks again :!: :!: :!: :!: :D

Hey Tom

Could we get a bit more info on this? Type of chute, transport method and so on please?

We do not have anything like that in my part of the world, but I know in the Peace River area of Alberta a group rents a system out to members. If I remember correctly it was a feeders club - or something like that.

Double R has mentioned there is local interest in his system, and Eric (a small operator as I read his post) seemed to think it was a reasonable idea.

I may have to examine / give my opinion a second thought.

Any more ideas on the original portion of the question - re: fees? Was my pricing out of the ball park?

Anything - legal, moral and ethical - to keep the wolf from the door.

Best to all,

Bez

It is the local county beef producers group. They rent a WW chute with the wheel kit on it for transport. Been doing it a couple years I guess.

i think $10/head is a little high. the only thing we use a vet for is bangs vaccinations, semen testing & sicknesses LA200 won't cure, but looking back from when i worked for one & adding a little inflation, you can probably take them to a vet and have him palpate & vaccinate (cows) for about $12-$16/head & you don't have to do any work. calves would probably run around $20/head for vaccination, castration, dehorning & again, you don't have to do any work except get them there.

Hey Tom - you'll have to give me more than a "WW Chute" - have never heard of it. Up here where I live, it's Hi - Hog, Morand and Hi - Qual - all can come with wheel attachments - all are found on the internet. Buy any one and you have a good squeeze - it just needs to attached to a decent set of pens and good high walled runs.

TXAG - Agree with your comments as applied to your area and number of cattle. But a small operator in upper rubber boot where ever might not find it outrageous

You made some interesting comments that made me laugh out loud in memory of a story for you.

When we had problems we could not handle at home with the cattle and horses we would load them up and take them to the veterinarian. This of course was when we lived in Alberta. Now I am in the heart of the smog zone and leftist civilization - between Ottawa, Montreal and Cornwall.

We had a small problem with a rather large bull. I could not handle it and called our local veterinarian - of course his receptionist answered. We explained the problem and asked if he could come out to the farm. He was really tied up in the office and could not. So, me being the polite guy said - "Well, if it would make life easier for you folks I could load him up and bring him in."

After a real long pause, she said it would probably be ok as long as the bull was real quiet and could stand out in the parking lot while the veterinarian examined him!! Turns out they do not have handling facilities for large animals. In fact I do not know of any veterinarians that do have handling facilities for large annimals in our area. :shock:

Needless to say the bull stayed home. :)

After we got to know our veterinarian much better he stopped for lunch one day. I will never forget one of his comments:

"You know it's going to be a bad day when you visit a small operator to do a ceasarian on a cow - and there she is - tied to a post in the middle of the field! :lol:

Anyway it's been a good discussion - depending on a persons location, and local facilities available I would suspect this could fly in a small way. A few extra dollars. Not all operators have club rentals and good vet facilities - that is why our guy loves to come here - we are set up.

Best to all,

Bez

it cost me about $10 per head to take mine to the vet and that is the shots and handling. so for me it wouldn't be worth that. our extension agent has a scale that you can work a few cattle with for $10 a day. by the day would be a better price than by the head.

jcarkie":3v8noqln said:
it cost me about $10 per head to take mine to the vet and that is the shots and handling. so for me it wouldn't be worth that. our extension agent has a scale that you can work a few cattle with for $10 a day. by the day would be a better price than by the head.
Arkansas Prices are considerably different than California Prices.
If you were in California you may be happy to have the Chutes available
for the prices being talked about here.

la4angus":112mqacq said:
jcarkie":112mqacq said:

Actually California prices are different then any where in the real world

dun

dun":30ttdcf8 said:
la4angus":30ttdcf8 said:
jcarkie":30ttdcf8 said:

Actually California prices are different then any where in the real world

dun

actually california is different from anywhere in the real world :lol: :lol:

{txag quote}actually california is different from anywhere in the real world quote}
That's for sure...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts