Chute or Alley Weight Scales

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have been looking for a cattle weight scale. Preferably digital. It can be an alley or a chute scale. I am not sure which one would be best. Need some direction here. What is a good name or one that holds up? Anyone know someone with a used scale for sale?

Chuckie":13heo3hy said:
I have been looking for a cattle weight scale. Preferably digital. It can be an alley or a chute scale. I am not sure which one would be best. Need some direction here. What is a good name or one that holds up? Anyone know someone with a used scale for sale?

Hey Chuckie, noticed nobody responded to this so here goes. Tru-Test scales. Mass-load scales. There are several places on the web to look. Just do a search.

Flaboy, yep, I noticed no one responded. Maybe I didn't word it just right. I have looked at a bunch of scales on the internet. I have found livestock strip scales from $750 to $3000.
I can't tell you how many times I have bought something, and wish that I had more knowledge of the product before I bought it. Nothing is perfect, but many things I have bought tear up within the 1st few times I used it. Switches and knobs don't work. Can turn it on, but can't turn it off without unplugging it. Will turn on, but doesn't heat up etc...
Then when you fall back on the warranty, they say send it back to the company, which cost more than the product you bought, and if it is a high dollar product, no one is in a hurry to get it back to you. Some might get it back to you in 3 months.
If I could buy a scale at Wal Mart, and it didn't work, I could just take it back.

So, let me rephrase my question.

I am looking for a livestock weigh scale. I have looked at many on the internet, but have not had any experiences with these comapnies or their products or know of anyone that has.
With spending that kind of money, can anyone tell me of a scale that they are happy with, and has it held up? Or if you have bought one and had a lot of problems with a brand name scale, please let me know so I can make sure that I don't purchase one.

Chuckie, I bought a Tru-Test SR-2000 5 years ago and put the heavy load bars under a Powder River chute. The state comes by and calibrates the scales every year and they are nearly dead-on.

The only problem I had was last year was very easily solved. I sent it to the Texas repair center and they fixed it free of charge and paid the freight too!

After weaning I bring my scale-head home and download all the info into my computer for record keeping. Very user-friendly.
I recommend it highly.

Thank you Mike C!!!!! That is the kind of information I was looking for. I think it is important to share good and bad reports of products so that others don't get caught in the "sucker" trap. Too many of the products we have to purchase for cattle and farm work is so expensive and we just can't afford to lose that kind of time and money. I looked at their scales several times. Sounds like a good reliable company.

I have a Galligar ( I realize that is spelled wrong. I can't for the life of me remember how things are spelled. Must have something to do with my childhood but more than likely my late youth) Mine are allyway scales. I don't really care for them much. I would prefer the chute scales. If they get against the side or put pressure backing up it takes the wrong weight. I have to position the calf to get an accurate weight. It is slow. Get a scale that goes under the chute. I am.

We have true test scales and really like them . We wieght calves 4 different times so we know b/w.prew/w, w/w,and w/w+45days.The pre w/w is when we pull bulls and we vac. calves and worm theW . we see an extra lb. of growth pre date in our calves by worming them at this time. hope this helps.

Howdy Chuckie,

Powder River Scale box (I don't think they have these anymore) and a Tru Test 700. Tru-Test HD1010 load bars.
Works great here. I have never had any problems with it so far. I do disconnect the unit from the load bars and keep it inside at the barn.

Thanks everbody! I will go back to the scales that has been mentioned here. It would be so nice to have scales at the house without loading, and carrying a calf down the road to see how much it weighs. Nothing like having the equipment that you need. Sure saves a lot of time and stress on the cattle. It will be nice to see how much the cattle weigh before medicating too. I can see several advantages to having one on the place.

We have an under the chute scale that came with a WW chute, I guess it is their own brand? Have had it five years and it works well, no problems other than it doesn't always return to zero, but to 2 lb and one has to reset it. Probably something we could fix, but we just hit the button.

I would go with Tru Test, all of our friends have them, and no one is complaining. It will be our next scale.

Just the savings on worm medication, over time, will help defray the cost.

Hey MikeC, does the state of Alabama charge for calibrating the scale???? If so, how much? Good idea, we either weight ourselves or use feed bags to calibrate ours.

Billy

MrBilly":12w91mbi said:
We have a under the chute scale that came with a WW chute, I guess it is their own brand? Have had it five years and it works well, no problems other than it doesn't always return to zero, but to 2 lb and one has to reset it. Probably something we could fix, but we just hit the button.

I would go with Tru Test, all of our friends have them, and no one is complaining. It will be our next scale.

Hey MikeC, does the state of Alabama charge for calibrating the scale???? If so, how much? Good idea, we either weight ourselves or use feed bags to calibrate ours.

Billy

The state hasn't charged us yet, but I think they have a plan in the works. :roll:
What they do is load it to a max and check it, then to a minimum and check it. They put a sticker on it if it's within 10%.

ollie":mtp48bq3 said:
I have to position the calf to get an accurate weight.
That's a shame, ollie. I bet you're not the only one that has that kind of trouble, though. Is it mainly when you're trying to get those good weaning and yearling weights? Those accurate actuals? What exactly do you have to do? Just kinda lean over against 'em? Maybe push down on 'em a little bit? :lol2:

MikeC":3vzes03b said:
MrBilly":3vzes03b said:
We have a under the chute scale that came with a WW chute, I guess it is their own brand? Have had it five years and it works well, no problems other than it doesn't always return to zero, but to 2 lb and one has to reset it. Probably something we could fix, but we just hit the button.

Billy

The state hasn't charged us yet, but I think they have a plan in the works. :roll:
What they do is load it to a max and check it, then to a minimum and check it. They put a sticker on it if it's within 10%.
Tennessee charges 10.00 for a scale permit.

Texan":15gozg96 said:
ollie":15gozg96 said:
I have to position the calf to get an accurate weight.
That's a shame, ollie. I bet you're not the only one that has that kind of trouble, though. Is it mainly when you're trying to get those good weaning and yearling weights? Those accurate actuals? What exactly do you have to do? Just kinda lean over against 'em? Maybe push down on 'em a little bit? :lol2:
Jealousy once again rears it's ugly head ladies and gentlemen. Face it Texan, you're festus and I'm Matt. You're Robin and I am Batman. You're Tonto.....Deal with it.

ollie":17m4tt6r said:
Face it Texan, you're festus and I'm Matt. You're Robin and I am Batman. You're Tonto.....Deal with it.
You wasn't s'posed to tell nobody about all that stuff. You promised. Anyway, that ought to go on the motel room thread.

Latest posts