Church

Help Support CattleToday:

Ok...lol!

Someone once told me that all humans need to believe in some higher power to give them purpose and something to either praise or blame for their fortunes/misfortunes. Like lower animals, humans have a herd instinct. They consider that some form of supreme being is necessary for their culture and survival. Of the many religious groups, sects, cults, etc., in the world, all peoples have a need to worship something mystical.

This aside,

"Churches are a business..." It takes a lot of money to run a church. Many cultures feel that the bigger the church and place of worship the more "valid" their religion and their respect and tribute to their supreme being.

A "church, synagog, or other place of worship" is a building or other structure. It is any form of a shelter under which humans can practice their faith. Religious symbols, artifacts, and tangible items are used to give the humans a "tangible link" to their unseen deity. Throughout history humans have "worshiped and prayed to" the unseen deity, in part, due to fear of the unknown and perhaps afterlife.

Religion is a people thing. One can be religious and live a peaceful sin-free life without having a church building.

As such, humans need to relate to something or someone greater than themselves in order to provide structure, moral guidelines, and a blueprint for life... [Even athiests and agnostics worship something...probably themselves or something else that helps to give them additional purpose in life.]

JMHO

grannysoo":30t5ofci said:
You're trying to open a big can of worms on this one aren't you? :mrgreen:

Worms have allot of protein by the weight. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I do not see why we can't enter into a calm reasonable discussion about church.

Our church sends money every month to the childrens home, so is church good for them? At Christmas we send a pick-up load of presents to kids that otherwise would not get anything, is church good for them? The people that we take meals when they've been sick, is church good for them? We send a Kairos team into the prison to try to impact the lives of young people that don't know anything but abuse, is church good for them? Would all these be better off without the church?

Many are so disappointed in the church because they ask what can I get rather than what can I give. To be blessed in a church you must first take the focus off of yourself and start to focus on the needs of those that usually don't have anything.

Larry

larryshoat":21e5mepw said:
Our church sends money every month to the childrens home, so is church good for them? At Christmas we send a pick-up load of presents to kids that otherwise would not get anything, is church good for them? The people that we take meals when they've been sick, is church good for them? We send a Kairos team into the prison to try to impact the lives of young people that don't know anything but abuse, is church good for them? Would all these be better off without the church?

Many are so disappointed in the church because they ask what can I get rather than what can I give. To be blessed in a church you must first take the focus off of yourself and start to focus on the needs of those that usually don't have anything.
Larry
amen

larryshoat":3dsrn2jb said:

Larry

Larry this is an excellent post.

Yes, I believe going to church is good for humans.

Not just any church, you have to find one that you feel welcome in, and of course that you can accept the beliefs. If you can do that, a regular trip to church is good for your spiritual and mental well being. And you should take your children to church and expose them to your religion and let them ask questions to give them enough information to make their own decisions about religion when they grow up.

This was written by Teddy Roosevelt. I think it's still relevant today. I've put this in my church's newsletter.

Theodore Roosevelt's
Nine Reasons Why a Man Should Go to Church

1In this actual world, a churchless community, a community where men have abandoned and scoffed at or ignored their religious needs, is a community on the rapid down grade.

2 Church work and church attendance mean the cultivation of the habit of feeling responsibility for others.

3 There are enough holidays for most of us. Sundays differ from other holidays in the fact that there are fifty-two of them every year. Therefore, on Sundays go to church.

4 Yes, I know all the excuses. I know that one can worship the Creator in a grove of trees, or by a running brook, or in a man's own house as well as in church. But I also know, as a matter of cold fact, that the average man does not thus worship.

5 He may not hear a good sermon at church. He will hear a sermon by a good man who, whith his wife, is engaged all of the week in making hard lives a little easier.

6 He will listen to and take part in reading some beautiful passages from the Bible. And if he is not familiar with the Bible he has suffered a loss.

7 He will take part in the singing of some good hymns.

8 He will meet and nod or speak to good, quiet neighbors. He will come away feeling a little more charitable toward all the world, even toward those excessively foolish young men who regard churchgoing as a soft performance.

9 I advocate a man's joining in church work for the sake of showing his faith by his works.

From a pamphlet published by Roosevelt House. Roosevelt House was built by the Woman's Roosevelt Memorial Association with funds collected in the main by the women and children of the nation. The Roosevelt Memorial Association gathered and administered the collections and the library. These two organizations eventually became the Theodore Roosevelt Association we know today.

Running Arrow Bill":33g6h3d8 said:
Ok...lol!

Someone once told me that all humans need to believe in some higher power to give them purpose and something to either praise or blame for their fortunes/misfortunes. Like lower animals, humans have a herd instinct. They consider that some form of supreme being is necessary for their culture and survival. Of the many religious groups, sects, cults, etc., in the world, all peoples have a need to worship something mystical.

This aside,

"Churches are a business..." It takes a lot of money to run a church. Many cultures feel that the bigger the church and place of worship the more "valid" their religion and their respect and tribute to their supreme being.

A "church, synagog, or other place of worship" is a building or other structure. It is any form of a shelter under which humans can practice their faith. Religious symbols, artifacts, and tangible items are used to give the humans a "tangible link" to their unseen deity. Throughout history humans have "worshiped and prayed to" the unseen deity, in part, due to fear of the unknown and perhaps afterlife.

Religion is a people thing. One can be religious and live a peaceful sin-free life without having a church building.

As such, humans need to relate to something or someone greater than themselves in order to provide structure, moral guidelines, and a blueprint for life... [Even athiests and agnostics worship something...probably themselves or something else that helps to give them additional purpose in life.]

JMHO

You have mentioned reasons for a church and the business end of a church. If you were a pastor of a church, how would you balance the need to to satisfy each of the two sides during a recession like we are having right now?

Our church sends money every month to the childrens home, so is church good for them?

Does the children's home know where the money come's from?

At Christmas we send a pick-up load of presents to kids that otherwise would not get anything, is church good for them?

Do the kids know where the presents are coming from?

The people that we take meals when they've been sick, is church good for them?

Do the sick people your church take meals to know who donated the food?

We send a Kairos team into the prison to try to impact the lives of young people that don't know anything but abuse, is church good for them?

Do the prisoners know who sent the Kairos team?

Would all these be better off without the church?

Good question. Is the church really after the selfish feeling of feeling good or is you church performing all these good acts anonymously?

Larry

Great comment. Likewise, the church should give anonymously. Don't you agree? Otherwise, the motive is selfishness.

MO_cows":1dje1g47 said:
Yes, I believe going to church is good for humans.

Not just any church, you have to find one that you feel welcome in, and of course that you can accept the beliefs. If you can do that, a regular trip to church is good for your spiritual and mental well being. And you should take your children to church and expose them to your religion and let them ask questions to give them enough information to make their own decisions about religion when they grow up.

I take it you did the opposite at one point in your life to feel this way?

God is good....by faith I accept his presense and his promises. I fill like i have a big hole in my week if I don't start by worshipping the risen Lord. Even someone who does not beleive could find comfort in attending church, relaxing with friends, reflection on our lives and our state in life and just listening and enjoying the quiet. (in my church anyway). The Holy Bible is a great study even for non believers as it contains many truths that will help a man throughout his life and make him a better person if he can live by these tenents. Is a Church House necessary?? NO...Is group worship necessary?? NO but we are told to assembly together to worship. But I know I've also worshipped, prayed and trusted whil in a fox hole so God and Church are as close or as distant as you make them.

Now the actions and antics of some of these new "man made" churches do make me wonder.

Latest posts