Church

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":2ma6mkse said:
Excellent point and I agree.

This thread is not so much as a discussion of religion, it's more of a thinking discussion in progress of do you or do you not have faith and why you do or do not have faith.

No one is slamming or flaming anyone else because of differences in thoughts or comments, just as it should be. Very much a thread that can and should make you think. If your beliefs are strong, it will not alter them, so don't be afraid...

And, hs has posted some very interesting things that have not been commented on. Everyone should go back and re-read some of the things that have been posted. Lots of food for thought.

Yep....a couple months ago the little town I was raised in decided to have a "wet/dry" election. The "Wets" formed a committee and had some money invested to promote the reason why folks should vote wet. The "drys" comprised primarily of the pastor and some of his followers representing just about every denomination known to man and some denominations even having multiple churches represented, pretty much did the same thing as the wets. They all "met in one accord" totally committed to keeping "demon rum" out of town......Well I still get the little "weekly wipe" (that's the pet name for the paper) and as I read it I thought....now here's all these folks all joined together fighting against the sale of beer and wine yet on any given day of the week at any time not a one of them can agree on some of the most basic principals of Christianity or get along with their fellow man or we wouldn't have these 20-25 different churches in the community. Guess every church things that particular church is THE church of Christ, every minister is his own pope and we're right no matter what anybody says. Instead of seeking the lost sheep we spend all our time stealing sheep from another flock.
Makes a guy want to sit down and have a drink. :drink:

Very good post TB. I should add this...again, in my small dry (alcohol) town, someone decided to obtain an alcohol beverage permit for a private establishment. All the pastors congregated and put a stop to it. Just like always, the normal citizens drive out of the county to pay taxes to make sure the next county has enough money for their budgets. We on the other hand, increase taxes, which keep businesses and plants from moving into the county. This is all fine and dandy as long as you have enough money. At the same time, the lawmakers allow establishments such as the local Country Club where the more elite can consume beverages which put this class of people above the more poor people. What does this teach? Who makes these laws? Important church members make the laws because they wouldn''t have been voted for unless they went to church.

larryshoat":10rdeexa said:
Satan hangs out where ever there are souls to be devoured and lives to be destroyed. He loves to enslave people.

Larry

Does Satan love to enslave church pastors more than the average church member? Can Satan be in two places at one time? How many helpers does Satan have? Can Satan be working on one man one second and then travel across the world and be working on another man the next second?

alacattleman":1hqisrzm said:
HerefordSire":1hqisrzm said:
chrisy":1hqisrzm said:
Is giving a case of Whiskey to an alcoholic a good or bad thing?.....that would depend on who the alcoholic was. :lol2:

The reason why I posted that just in case you are interested...is many times people form an opinion that an alcoholic should not be allowed to consume alcohol, so we try to prevent the user from receiving any alcohol. We may put him in jail and eventually he gets out. In other words, we try to make a decision for another. It could be more successful if we allow one to consume more alcohol so the user bottoms out faster and makes the decision for themselves to not consume alcohol. Spiritual Awakenings, which could be considered vital for recovery, have been known to occur quite often when people are in pain.
problem with that,, they usually take a innocent life in the process

Put them (us) in a controlled environment (like a jail cell) with a case of whiskey until they had enough. How can they take an innocent life this way?

HerefordSire":3h6cphev said:
.... but i don't think airplanes are GOD inspired . neither was the tower of babel.. he gave us the intelligence too build em..

I could see where they might be if the designers had the good of mankind in mind. Indirectly. May never know. Like the couple who yodle Ave Maria in each others ear before they throw a blanket on the ground. God inspired? :???: Who knows. :???:

I do agree that He gave us intellegence and expects us to use it for the good of others. That's why it always amazes me that when someone gets sick there's more time spent praying than getting the best medical help available. Help that He gave us!

1982vett":fsl4iftg said:
HerefordSire":fsl4iftg said:
chrisy":fsl4iftg said:
Is giving a case of Whiskey to an alcoholic a good or bad thing?.....that would depend on who the alcoholic was. :lol2:

The reason why I posted that just in case you are interested...is many times people form an opinion that an alcoholic should not be allowed to consume alcohol, so we try to prevent the user from receiving any alcohol. We may put him in jail and eventually he gets out. In other words, we try to make a decision for another. It could be more successful if we allow one to consume more alcohol so the user bottoms out faster and makes the decision for themselves to not consume alcohol. Spiritual Awakenings, which could be considered vital for recovery, have been known to occur quite often when people are in pain.
Using that logic, we could/should apply it else where and expect the same results.

It is another form of tough love. Spiritual Awakenings can change people because the worldly self is removed. Other than having a higher power, I see no other way for a man to overcome anything deemed negative which coincide with a personal weakness.

HerefordSire":b8ucfaz2 said:
dyates":b8ucfaz2 said:
Supposed to be. If not, you should consider a different church.

I do not belong to a church. Why should I consider going to a church?

Good morning. Because you have gifts that will allow you to serve that body of people. It gives you an opportunity to worship
God in a corporate setting and to hopefully learn more about who God really is.

Kingfisher":3gxzzxke said:
HerefordSire":3gxzzxke said:
dyates":3gxzzxke said:
Supposed to be. If not, you should consider a different church.

I do not belong to a church. Why should I consider going to a church?

Good morning. Because you have gifts that will allow you to serve that body of people. It gives you an opportunity to worship
God in a corporate setting and to hopefully learn more about who God really is.
:tiphat:

Going to my church is like this forum. I may not take an active part on every subject but it gives me a sense of community. While I believe church and religion are different, you can have religion without a church. While I do feel every church tries to out do the other church in their town, remember this can only be done with our permission and our dollars.Hopefully everyone can find a " community" where they find peace and tranquility.

Latest posts