Chores on frigid/snowy days

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
I'm curious; for those who are experiencing the frigid temperatures, does your farm operation still require a day's work outside, or does the weather put a damper on chores?

Today, there is 4 inches of snow here, it's still snowing, and it's 10 degrees. I checked on the cows, put out hay, checked water, and unless there is an emergency, I'm back in the house for the day. I don't have any heated outbuildings, so there is really nothing that I can do or that needs doing on a day like today.

herofan":zj9tfxo0 said:
I'm curious; for those who are experiencing the frigid temperatures, does your farm operation still require a day's work outside, or does the weather put a damper on chores?

Today, there is 4 inches of snow here, it's still snowing, and it's 10 degrees. I checked on the cows, put out hay, checked water, and unless there is an emergency, I'm back in the house for the day. I don't have any heated outbuildings, so there is really nothing that I can do or that needs doing on a day like today.

I got the same thing you got. I just got in. No different than routine except the twine on the rolls are heII to get off.

And while we're seeking input from those in the frozen North...., anyone got a tip on how to 'easily' get a frozen pickup truck door open.... maybe using just common household chemicals?
(it's unlocked and the handles work--just froze tight at the jamb and rubber seal from several hours of sleet frozen rain)

herofan":1k3cqor8 said:

For me it does stop other work except for feeding and seeing to the needs of the cattle, unless the cold causes something else to mess up and it usually causes more work with the cattle.
I was kind of surprised by the weather this morning, shouldn't have been though. Thought it was just going to be about an inch come in overnight. State road was covered white and snow still was coming. Had trouble seeing where the road was on the tractor. I reckon the snow system that you had there was moving on this way.

greybeard":1or13ti8 said:
And while we're seeking input from those in the frozen North...., anyone got a tip on how to 'easily' get a frozen pickup truck door open.... maybe using just common household chemicals?
(it's unlocked and the handles work--just froze tight at the jamb and rubber seal from several hours of sleet frozen rain)
Bucket of hot water works the best.

That's why I try to put out a weeks worth of hay and minerals on a decently nice day, so all I have to do is make sure the waterers are not froze up, then hurry back inside :cowboy:

Bright Raven":32rckqv9 said:
herofan":32rckqv9 said:

I got the same thing you got. I just got in. No different than routine except the twine on the rolls are heII to get off.

Same problem here, takes double or triple the time to feed and freezes my hands in the process.

greybeard":236eoha3 said:
Blow drier, or heat gun..

I try to be as ready as I can. Tank heaters, where possible. Tractors where they can be started. I do all my "normal" chores, and try not to do any extra. I was out almost day yesterday. Fed 11 rolls of hay. Fed the calves I'm backgrounding morning and afternoon. Had a big calf stuck in a hay ring. Had to get the generator, sawsall, and drop cords out. It all takes time. we have 10 inches of snow on the ground, and 10 degree weather today. My worst problem is my immediate family fails to prepare whatsoever. I have to haul some water for my dad. Feed for my brother, and father. Take my sister in law to and from work, and haul my two nieces to their destinations. My dad is old, and doesn't need to get out, and my brother works long hours. The women folk at his house, need to get more self sufficient. My nieces are in their early 20's. To make a silent point, I usually send my two girls to his house to feed. Ages 10 and 13.

Bigfoot":2mhs0wdj said:
I try to be as ready as I can. Tank heaters, where possible. Tractors where they can be started. I do all my "normal" chores, and try not to do any extra. I was out almost day yesterday. Fed 11 rolls of hay. Fed the calves I'm backgrounding morning and afternoon. Had a big calf stuck in a hay ring. Had to get the generator, sawsall, and drop cords out. It all takes time. we have 10 inches of snow on the ground, and 10 degree weather today. My worst problem is my immediate family fails to prepare whatsoever. I have to haul some water for my dad. Feed for my brother, and father. Take my sister in law to and from work, and haul my two nieces to their destinations. My dad is old, and doesn't need to get out, and my brother works long hours. The women folk at his house, need to get more self sufficient. My nieces are in their early 20's. To make a silent point, I usually send my two girls to his house to feed. Ages 10 and 13.

Sorry to hear about the calf stuck in the hay ring, those kind of things seem to happen more in this kind of weather.

greybeard":rqni8kzu said:

Spray can of windshield de-icer works if the ice is not too thick, otherwise lots of hot water

"Spray can of windshield de-icer works if the ice is not too thick, otherwise lots of hot water"

Had to search to find out what that is...not something I would have around, but I lugged the torpedo heater out there and got the door thawed out.

greybeard":a6tfiwev said:
I squirt it with windshield deicer

You guys crack me up. Just dress warm and do what needs to be done. Granted there isn't a whole lot to do this time of the year. No hay to make, no fields to plow. Just feed the cows and check on the water are about the only daily chores. Lots of guys work on equipment this time of year. In that case you start a fire in the stove before feeding so the shop will be warm when you get back.
It has been unseasonably warm this winter. Last year there was snow here from Dec.1 until late March. Lots of below 0 days. Thsi year we have only had two snows. One hung around for about 4 days, the other was gone by mid afternoon. On about the coldest morning we have had this year (12F) we went hauled cows from fall pasture to the winter ground. Gathered about 130 cows off about 2,000 acres. Approximately 100 fall pairs, 30 spring calvers, and half a dozen bulls. Hauled 4 semi loads of cows and three goose neck loads of calves about 35 miles. We left the house before daylight and it was dark when the last load of cows came off the truck. I wore wool socks in leather boots, long underwear, wranglers, a hooded sweat shirt, and carhardt coat, white ox gloves, and a stormy kromer hat. I was fine. It was a little chilly that first hour or so being horseback gathering but after that I was on foot and moving around. Long rides are a bit tough in the winter so we avoid them. But everyone has done them at one time or another.

Dave":2x5ppzot said:
You guys crack me up. Just dress warm and do what needs to be done. Last year there was snow here from Dec.1 until late March. Lots of below 0 days. Thsi year we have only had two snows. One hung around for about 4 days, the other was gone by mid afternoon. On about the coldest morning we have had this year (12F) we went hauled cows from fall pasture to the winter ground. Gathered about 130 cows off about 2,000 acres. Approximately 100 fall pairs, 30 spring calvers, and half a dozen bulls. Hauled 4 semi loads of cows and three goose neck loads of calves about 35 miles. We left the house before daylight and it was dark when the last load of cows came off the truck. I wore wool socks in leather boots, long underwear, wranglers, a hooded sweat shirt, and carhardt coat, white ox gloves, and a stormy kromer hat. I was fine. It was a little chilly that first hour or so being horseback gathering but after that I was on foot and moving around. Long rides are a bit tough in the winter so we avoid them. But everyone has done them at one time or another.

Dave,

As you know, I spent 30 years between Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. The weather here sucks! When it is 27 degrees Fahrenheit here, I feel more miserable than I did at minus 30 in Wyoming. My son was born on January 21, 1984 in Casper. We clipped the newspaper article and put it in his scrapbook. It was minus 44 degrees Fahrenheit on that day. With a wind that was blowing high profile vehicles off the interstate between Casper and Cheyenne. But I have been colder her than I remember it was that day. The cold in the Rocky mountain states is DRY. This damp cold chills you to the bone.

Bright Raven":2zscxwb4 said:
Dave":2zscxwb4 said:
You guys crack me up. Just dress warm and do what needs to be done. Last year there was snow here from Dec.1 until late March. Lots of below 0 days. Thsi year we have only had two snows. One hung around for about 4 days, the other was gone by mid afternoon. On about the coldest morning we have had this year (12F) we went hauled cows from fall pasture to the winter ground. Gathered about 130 cows off about 2,000 acres. Approximately 100 fall pairs, 30 spring calvers, and half a dozen bulls. Hauled 4 semi loads of cows and three goose neck loads of calves about 35 miles. We left the house before daylight and it was dark when the last load of cows came off the truck. I wore wool socks in leather boots, long underwear, wranglers, a hooded sweat shirt, and carhardt coat, white ox gloves, and a stormy kromer hat. I was fine. It was a little chilly that first hour or so being horseback gathering but after that I was on foot and moving around. Long rides are a bit tough in the winter so we avoid them. But everyone has done them at one time or another.

Dave,

As you know, I spent 30 years between Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. The weather here sucks! When it is 27 degrees Fahrenheit here, I feel more miserable than I did at minus 30 in Wyoming. My son was born on January 21, 1984 in Casper. We clipped the newspaper article and put it in his scrapbook. It was minus 44 degrees Fahrenheit on that day. With a wind that was blowing high profile vehicles off the interstate between Casper and Cheyenne. But I have been colder her than I remember it was that day. The cold in the Rocky mountain states is DRY. This damp cold chills you to the bone.

Remember I was raised and lived on the Washington coast. I understand damp cold. Where I was feeding cows this morning you could almost spit and hit the John Day Dam on the Columbia. It is about 100 miles straight down the Columbia Gorge to Portland. Another 50 miles or so and you are in salt water. This isn't the dry cold of the mountain states. I spent enough time in the Rocky Mountain states to understand the difference. I also spent enough time in Alaska to understand what real cold is like.

Dave":3it32q3w said:
Bright Raven":3it32q3w said:
Dave":3it32q3w said:

Dave,

Remember I was raised and lived on the Washington coast. I understand damp cold. Where I was feeding cows this morning you could almost spit and hit the John Day Dam on the Columbia. It is about 100 miles straight down the Columbia Gorge to Portland. Another 50 miles or so and you are in salt water. This isn't the dry cold of the mountain states. I spent enough time in the Rocky Mountain states to understand the difference. I also spent enough time in Alaska to understand what real cold is like.

I took a drive down along the Columbia. It was on the interstate if I remember. I went by the John Day Dam. Got into Olympia and a friend of mine took me fishing out at the mouth of the Columbia. Boat was way too small. In fact, the Coast Guard stopped and warned my friend. Was not fun! Crazy!

I understand the damp cold affects western Oregan and Washington.

Latest posts