Choosing Brangus Bull Advise Needed

Help Support CattleToday:

branguscowgirl

Reaction score
Ok everyone. I need to choose a Reg Brangus bull for my Rosie cows ET work. I raised some awesome calves from this bulls sire. But that was the "semen of concern." So I would like your honest opinions on using his son........
And if you know of a better Brangus bull, please share. I am open to all suggestions. I have no problem picking bulls for a single AI. But when you are talking multiples, I prefer some advise! :D
I need sound, good producing cattle that show well and sell bulls. Good dispositions are important also. Obviously easy fleshing, I like to be a grass fed operation as much as possible. I wanted a fairly lower BW bull, due to recip variations.

I might add, Rosie does a really good job of stamping her calves with her best traits. :D
Thanks for your help!

http://youtu.be/dvCuj4Y2Fws

http://fairoakscattle.com/new-buy-semen/
Ugo_sl.jpg

From a grass feeding program in California, might be worth the drive to go visit.

I don't think you need any easier fleshing on your cattle from what I've seen BrangusCowgirl!

That bull doesn't look to have much brahman influence, Personally I find he seems front heavy.

JW thank you. But I am using Registered Brangus. (The bull you posted is Angus.) I show in the West Coast Brangus Breeders Association.

Nesikep":3rnm6oe0 said:
I don't think you need any easier fleshing on your cattle from what I've seen BrangusCowgirl!

That bull doesn't look to have much brahman influence, Personally I find he seems front heavy.
Nesi, in CA they do not want them to look too Brahman. "Clean sheathed with mod. excess skin." Too much Brahman look" is frowned upon. I try to breed to "clean and tight bulls" because I will still get enough of "the look" from my cows. But not over the top. :D

OK, let me understand show biz (I'm on a roll with it today)... You breed a black angus to a Brahman, and get better points if it still looks like a black angus?!

I don't like too much Brahman influence myself either, so I don't demerit that pictured bull on that at all, it was just a statement.

OK, let me understand show biz (I'm on a roll with it today)... You breed a black angus to a Brahman, and get better points if it still looks like a black angus?!

Not exactly. Registered Brangus are "stabilized at 3/8 Brahman and 5/8 Angus". (In other words, you can not just register a calf that you bred from an Angus X Brahman.) They have been developed with this percentage of each, to get the traits that are desired from each breed.
Brahman = Heat tolerance, disease resistance, hardiness, maternal instincts, calving ease ect.
Angus = Carcass traits mostly.
In another thread, we talked about trait selection. So I won't repeat that. But the bottom line is, you want the best of both of these breeds with out keeping the less desirable traits.
With that said, a low pendulous sheath is not desirable. Not for breeding soundness or aesthetics. Sometimes this will pop up again down the line, so you do your best to stay with cleaner underlines in your breeding stock. They can have all the long ears that they want! :D

branguscowgirl":1drl0fg1 said:
Ok everyone. I need to choose a Reg Brangus bull for my Rosie cows ET work. I raised some awesome calves from this bulls sire. But that was the "semen of concern." So I would like your honest opinions on using his son........
And if you know of a better Brangus bull, please share. I am open to all suggestions. I have no problem picking bulls for a single AI. But when you are talking multiples, I prefer some advise! :D
I need sound, good producing cattle that show well and sell bulls. Good dispositions are important also. Obviously easy fleshing, I like to be a grass fed operation as much as possible. I wanted a fairly lower BW bull, due to recip variations.I might add, Rosie does a really good job of stamping her calves with her best traits. :D
Thanks for your help!

http://youtu.be/dvCuj4Y2Fws

If you are looking for show cattle that is a little different than what you described. I saw easy fleshing, low birth weight, and grass fed. Not a fan of Brangus bulls, had about a dozen Gene Trust bulls come thru the area and they didn't impress me as easy fleshing. They looked like the bull in the youtube video.

Yes JW. I breed just registered stock. I do show and sell bulls at the bull sales. I guess I should have been clearer in my description, "easy fleshing" for a Brangus. :D
The female I am flushing is in the thread "How old is too old."
Thank you for your input!

branguscowgirl":1cck2uz2 said:
Yes JW. I breed just registered stock. I do show and sell bulls at the bull sales. I guess I should have been clearer in my description, "easy fleshing" for a Brangus. :D
This old boy has been on the market for a while but has produced some pretty good offspring for the show ring.
http://www.bovine-elite.com/brangusepd2 ... 7&id2nd=40

TexasBred":1e75vlt7 said:
branguscowgirl":1e75vlt7 said:
This old boy has been on the market for a while but has produced some pretty good offspring for the show ring.
http://www.bovine-elite.com/brangusepd2 ... 7&id2nd=40
Thanks TB! I like him! He is definitely a good consideration.
One thing IBBA posts now with number of offspring, is number of heifers. Some of these bulls will produce hundreds of bull calves vs a couple heifers. And because I need replacements, this is another consideration for me. I will check his % out for sure! :D

wacocowboy":2s5thzem said:
I like the one TB posted and there are a few others on Bovine-Elite that looked pretty good like DDD Walks Alone
I really like the smoothness of this bull. Very clean without too much leather and nice sheath.

Latest posts