Choices

Help Support CattleToday:

VERY interesting article, although hardly a surprise. I've always thought the Angus association / breeders were very good marketers.

You Angus fanatics will hate me for saying this, but this is the land of free speech. The Angus Beef groups such as CAB, seems a bit shady and scammy and I think it's a great way for folks with black cows to sell their whatever cows to city folks. Herefords marble and there are at least two Hereford certified Beef programs that I know of who are competing because of all this black hide nonsense. (Angus isn't the only tender beef on the planet you know). I cringe at the Angus Beef comercials because the regular TV audience doesn't even know what an Angus is anyway or what any of that really means. They may think it is Ostrich. It's just a bunch of advertising. Personally, I don't want a buch of identical black cows in my patch. I want herefords who are pretty and fat and have individuality. I can always get ONE Angus bull if I want black calves. Or I can get another breed bull. But my cows are to be Polled Hereford. Less flies, too, on red cows. And they don't get so hot.

TexasCountryWoman":3vfrpiki said:
Herefords marble and there are at least two Hereford certified Beef programs that I know of who are competing because of all this black hide nonsense. (Angus isn't the only tender beef on the planet you know).

Sounds like a jealous woman to me.The Herefords a are not competing because of this black hide nonsense. They are building a Branded Beef program for the good of the Hereford Breeders.I would think it is is due people like you that thought that thought that they knew everything about marketing, but didn't know nothing about about it that the Angus breed was able to come from a distant second to surpassing the Hereford breed as far as numbers, and popularity among commercial cattlemen go.
I don't think that I have ever heard anyone say that Angus is the only tender beef on the planet.and I don't think that you have heard that said either.
If you don't like Angus, don't buy any. There are some very good Herefords amd other breeds available for you to choose from. Many people on this CT board have very top quality to sell. Just don't blame the Angus breed for your problems. Blame yourself.

la4angus":2esxhl7f said:
TexasCountryWoman":2esxhl7f said:
Herefords marble and there are at least two Hereford certified Beef programs that I know of who are competing because of all this black hide nonsense. (Angus isn't the only tender beef on the planet you know).

Sounds like a jealous woman to me.The Herefords a are not competing because of this black hide nonsense. They are building a Branded Beef program for the good of the Hereford Breeders.I would think it is is due people like you that thought that thought that they knew everything about marketing, but didn't know nothing about about it that the Angus breed was able to come from a distant second to surpassing the Hereford breed as far as numbers, and popularity among commercial cattlemen go.
I don't think that I have ever heard anyone say that Angus is the only tender beef on the planet.and I don't think that you have heard that said either.
If you don't like Angus, don't buy any. There are some very good Herefords amd other breeds available for you to choose from. Many people on this CT board have very top quality to sell. Just don't blame the Angus breed for your problems. Blame yourself.

I didn't see where she was blaming the ANgus breed for anything.
They where the first to really market their breed and the other breeds were slow to get on the band wagon. When people think about branded beef programs or high quality beef they think angus. That's marketing. For many years any pc other then apple were called IBM clones, all copiers were Xerox machines. Those are terms that fell into common usage but arre now supeerceded by moregeneric terms. I'm confident that enventually the CAB deal will be just one more of the branded programs. It will still be very succesfull and probably lead the way. But that's the value of being the firstest with mostest when it comes to marketing.

dun

You need to chill out and remember that this is an opinion board. She didn't point the finger at you can call youanything she simply stated her opinion and she has a valid point wether you agree with it or not. Get over it.

I'm not an Angus breeder-don't own any. I will be the first to admit that the Angus Association has done a wonderful job of marketing. Angus is a household name when it comes to beef and I'll bet if you asked a city dweller what an Angus looks like they couldn't tell you. They would probably say those black and white spotted cows that you see on farms everywhere (Holstein). I guess I'm a little confused about how the CAB program works-I haven't really tried to figure it out though. I have sold several solid black calves at the sale barn and they brought premium prices even when the market was down. My black calves were out of Beefmaster cows and one of my black and white registered Longhorn bulls. I don't know how they wound up in the end-I'm assuming they were fed out for beef. But since they were solid black I assumed that the buyers probably thought they were Angus influenced. For whatever reason the black hided calves sell better. That's just my two cents worth-certainly not intended to offend anyone or to add fuel to the fire.

TexasCountryWoman":8708jz5x said:
Personally, I don't want a buch of identical black cows in my patch. I want herefords who are pretty and fat and have individuality.
TCW, the consumer does want something identical and they want it every time they go to the meat counter. Its true that most of them don't care what color the hide was, but its also true that most of them don't care what you want in your "patch."

If you think that the cattle business is all about aesthetics and what looks pretty, that's your privilege. I'm glad that you have that right. But you should keep in mind that the bigger picture is about consistency in the food chain. And unless you let all of your cattle die on your place, you're part of that food chain.

That consistent product is what is going to be the make or break issue as far as profitability for us in the future, in my opinion. CAB, CHB and others recognize this. And whether you care or not, profitability in the future is a real concern for many of us. If a program works as hard to develop a consistent product as CAB has, they deserve credit for it. And if all of the other Breed Associations would try to get involved like the Hereford breeders are now doing, that can only be good for this business!

Texas you must be a democrat because you take one statement out of someones post and turn it around to make yourself look more competent. No need to go back and read what I just wrote because yes I am sure there ARE some errors.

Texan":121gvf3d said:
TexasCountryWoman":121gvf3d said:
Personally, I don't want a buch of identical black cows in my patch. I want herefords who are pretty and fat and have individuality.
TCW, the consumer does want something identical and they want it every time they go to the meat counter. Its true that most of them don't care what color the hide was, but its also true that most of them don't care what you want in your "patch."

If you think that the cattle business is all about aesthetics and what looks pretty, that's your privilege. I'm glad that you have that right. But you should keep in mind that the bigger picture is about consistency in the food chain. And unless you let all of your cattle die on your place, you're part of that food chain.

That consistent product is what is going to be the make or break issue as far as profitability for us in the future, in my opinion. CAB, CHB and others recognize this. And whether you care or not, profitability in the future is a real concern for many of us. If a program works as hard to develop a consistent product as CAB has, they deserve credit for it. And if all of the other Breed Associations would try to get involved like the Hereford breeders are now doing, that can only be good for this business!

Well put Texan, the Angus people have plain and simple just been better at marketing. Sitting on your butt and complaining about the Angus doesn't cut it. If I was an Angus breeder I would LOL every time I heard one of the whiners. Please send cheese to go with all this whine.

These people bitching about the AAA may prefer to have CocaCola and the other soft drink comanies to just start selling pop, and not have a printed can.
The beer companies would put all their beer in a can or bottle that would be labeled Beer

Sure, then DELL and other computer companies would have their computers in a box labeled COMPUTERS

No brand name, no recognition.

la4angus":3c5g5w16 said:
the other soft drink comanies

Which comanies would these be, never heard of any. Of course I've I've never heard of any comanies anyway.

Typos and other irregularities. When the brain tells the fingers what to type and the brain sees what comes out, since it KNOWS what it's supposed to say it doesn't see the typo/irregularity

dun

Typos and other irregularities. When the brain tells the fingers what to type and the brain sees what comes out, since it KNOWS what it's supposed to say it doesn't see the typo/irregularity

I feel your pain dun.

txshowmom":2bgu1f0a said:

I feel your pain dun.

Poor Babies