chlostridium vaccination reaction

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

My 16 month old (soon to be bred ... in 1 week)Holstein heifer recieved a Bar Vac 7 vaccination on Saturday. I gave it to her subcutaneously in her neck area. She is developing a lump. I wiped her neck down with alcohol before ai stuck her, so I thought the injection was aseptic enough. Is this a normal reaction? Last year she got real sick with the first round of shots, had no reaction with the second round 1 month later. She didn't (and still doesn't) act sick; just has the lump.

I picked up an Ivomec injectable for her today, but should I wait before I give it to her? I didn't think the lump was a big deal, so I didn't mention it to the vet today. When she has had IM shots, she sometimes gets a lump. She did receive a 3 way IM on Saturday today. It seems bigger this evening and he has Wed. off, so I thought I'd ask all of you.

Is there anything else I should do to get ready before I breed her? I'm going to ask the vet about scour guard. She is in great shape in all other ways. Thanks again!

[email protected]

Of little comfort, but sometimes they dvelop lumps from vaccinations. Normally they will go away within a couple of weeks. But we hae some older cows that still have a lump from their original shots several years ago. No lumps from any of the later vaccinations, just that first round. And not all of them got lumps that time.

dun

> My 16 month old (soon to be bred
> ... in 1 week)Holstein heifer
> recieved a Bar Vac 7 vaccination
> on Saturday. I gave it to her
> subcutaneously in her neck area.
> She is developing a lump. I wiped
> her neck down with alcohol before
> ai stuck her, so I thought the
> injection was aseptic enough. Is
> this a normal reaction? Last year
> she got real sick with the first
> round of shots, had no reaction
> with the second round 1 month
> later. She didn't (and still
> doesn't) act sick; just has the
> lump.

> I picked up an Ivomec injectable
> for her today, but should I wait
> before I give it to her? I didn't
> think the lump was a big deal, so
> I didn't mention it to the vet
> today. When she has had IM shots,
> she sometimes gets a lump. She did
> receive a 3 way IM on Saturday
> today. It seems bigger this
> evening and he has Wed. off, so I
> thought I'd ask all of you.

> Is there anything else I should do
> to get ready before I breed her?
> I'm going to ask the vet about
> scour guard. She is in great shape
> in all other ways. Thanks again!

i've seen our vet give ivomec to show steers under a front leg so if there is a lump it won't be noticeable.

Latest posts