Chisum vs. Charlo

Help Support CattleToday:

Air gator

Reaction score
If you had to choose between Chisum and Charlo who would use and why?

I choose chisum. Mainly because I have had many calves out of him, and have been impressed with each one. Bulls and heifers. I have 3 herd bulls I have saved for personal use. They have turned out great. The temperament of them is unreal to me, tame as a dog. (Not always a good thing I cuss them every time I load them in a trailer) I looked at chisums numbers and it looks they dropped his carcass numbers quite a bit. I didn't breed him to any last year, curiosity gets the best of me always wanting to try new bulls. I have no experience with charlo whatsoever. Pictures and video I saw he looks awful nice.

I hadn't seen Charlo s epds for a while. I see that he now sports a minus .8 for yearling height. How far are you willing to go before you have to have a frame 7 bull on your cows just to get a saleable calf? I don't like extremes and it looks to me like Charlo is extreme on the small side.

For a calving ease bull to use on virgin heifers Charlo.... otherwise hands down CHISUM
Chisum cem 14 top 3%
Charlo cem -6 bottom 5% seems his daughters pelvic scores are so low you have to cull many to find a keeper

Chisum $W 82 $B 134 top 25%
Charlo $W 78 $B 83 bottom 20%

In addition docility is one of the most heritable traits making it easy to influence with your genetic choices.
Chisum doc 24 top 10%
Charlo doc 7 bottom 25%

Used Charlo on a few big cows. Got beefy moderate framed calves. Looked like winners. Kept one heifer and she prolapsed with a small calf. Missed on the CEM... Not going back to him.

I'm not a big Charlo fan. He's pretty muscular but I have not been particularly impressed with the progeny that I have seen. I feel like there are better options out there unless you already own the straws.

Select has a calving ease chisum son. I have no tried him, but something to think about. His numbers seem decent

I would call him the calving ease version of Chisum (his sire) if you are breeding virgin heifers.
Both bred by Spickler Ranch in North Dakota.
Very similar in type and definitely better ced and the same for cem, doc, mh and mw he adds a little more milk, BUT
I still prefer Chisum over his son for the $EN 20 advantage vs $EN 0

Latest posts