Chisel plow pulled by 100hp 4x4

Help Support CattleToday:

Ground conditions?

Sod or worked or last years corn / beans or what have you?

Terrain?

Depth setting?

Tire tread conditions?

Weights or loader on the front?

I pull about 25 feet with absolutely no probs - using a 5250 Case IH - loader comes off - but sometimes it stays on.

Your local dealer will know for sure for your area. Lots of questions before you can get the definitive. As per usual, there is never a "set answer".

Take care,

Bez>

Herefordcross":2d2vhupt said:
Level
Raw pasture ground
100% tread
loader on front
15" depth

15 inches on raw pasture?

Hmmm - I know that I would hesitate to figure I could pull my equipment over it. I might be able depending on how heavy the turf is - but in all honesty I figure it would be a slow haul at best.

I have never even plowed that deep. 15 inches is something I have heard of for breaking some hard pan but that is the only time I have ever heard of it unless breaking virgin ground with a breaking plow and a dozer.

You have me - I do not know - but I would hazard a guess that you could pull 14 - 16 feet.

I do not want to hijack, but why so deep? You want to kill off the grass you only have to go down below the roots - or are they that deep?

Spray and then "one way" as an option?

I think I would go borrow one from a neighbour and try it for an hour - if it went easy then I might go bigger - if it went hard I would reduce the size.

I now look forward to hearing from others. I figure I am about to learn something here. Will be sure to check in later to see the responses.

Regards,

Bez>

Yoemans ploughs which are the same thing are 6 ft ,1 tyne per foot and drug at 3 inches depth first time 6 inches in 12 months and nine inches 12 months further on .
So what are you trying to do to the pasture ,you might need a big dozer and rippers first and that usually repacks within 6 months if rained on

Herefordcross":1ixdo4ab said:
Level
Raw pasture ground
100% tread
loader on front
15" depth

Never seen a chisel plow go 15" in raw pasture ground around here. You must be talking about a ripper?

Here in Texas in black gumbo:

72hp JD 6220 2 wheel drive: I can pull 5 shanks about 12-15" deep.

When I bought the 4wheel drive version of the same tractor, I added two more shanks, same depth.

johndeerefarmer":1ise72ug said:
Here in Texas in black gumbo:

72hp JD 6220 2 wheel drive: I can pull 5 shanks about 12-15" deep.

When I bought the 4wheel drive version of the same tractor, I added two more shanks, same depth.

Got a friend who plants pines with a JD 6320 fwd. He pulls a single ripper at about 15"-18" to plant in.

He has to run in "A" Range in 2nd gear where the pasture is "raw" in black gumbo here. It won't pull it at all in dry sandy type soil. Has to go get the old 4430.

Just sits there a paws! ;-)

Got a friend that pulls 6 or 8 shank with dules on a 4430 but he still can't get but about 8 inches deep.

If we're bustin hardpan around here then we go down 20-24" with old ugly as I call it. My neighbor has an old case model ???? but it is dual fr./back. and it barks.

Here it in Southern MN it takes 40 hp per shank @ 12". Put a 7" or 10" point on those same shanks you better figure needing 60 hp per shank.

Latest posts