Chisel Plow or Not?

Help Support CattleToday:

RodBod

Reaction score
I just purchased 42 acres that I want to plant in Texas Tough bermuba. The top 7 or 8 inches of soil seems to be easily tilled. At 8 inches down I find a serious "hardpan". Should I break through this "hardpan" to let the roots grow deeper or leave the hardpan so the water tends to hold at that level where the roots can get to it before it percolates on thru. I don't know how deep the roots really need to go down--nearly impossible to kill bermuda grass. This acreage is between Llano & Brady in central Texas. :help:

Not being familiar with the soils in your area I wouldn't have a clue. If I were you I would talk to the county agent.
Even if you chisel plow I dought that you will be getting into the hard pan very much as chisel plowing normally only goes about the depth of your top soil anyway.
Having said that I have taken areas with very shallow top soil, or no top soil, and improved it with chisel plowing and feeding hay on top for a couple of years. I have also planted Tifton 85 into plowed hardpan and it did alright. It may depend on what the hardpan is made of.

RodBod":3bt2tmxb said:
I just purchased 42 acres that I want to plant in Texas Tough bermuba. The top 7 or 8 inches of soil seems to be easily tilled. At 8 inches down I find a serious "hardpan". Should I break through this "hardpan" to let the roots grow deeper or leave the hardpan so the water tends to hold at that level where the roots can get to it before it percolates on thru. I don't know how deep the roots really need to go down--nearly impossible to kill bermuda grass. This acreage is between Llano & Brady in central Texas. :help:
8" is ALL you need !!!!!! :tiphat:

If it were me, i would determine if water is in short supply. If you get too much water, it would probably grow more if you broke the pan.

Latest posts