chisel plow or not

Help Support CattleToday:

RodBod

Reaction score
I just purchased 42 acres that I want to plant in Texas Tough bermuba. The top 7 or 8 inches of soil seems to be easily tilled. At 8 inches down I find a serious "hardpan". Should I break through this "hardpan" to let the roots grow deeper or leave the hardpan so the water tends to hold at that level where the roots can get to it before it percolates on thru. I don't know how deep the roots really need to go down--nearly impossible to kill bermuda grass. This acreage is between Llano & Brady in central Texas.

I would find a inline ripper or v ripper on 30" spacings set it down 3 inches below the hardpan and rip it up good. The hp required depends greatly upon your soil type but make sure you have enough power to pull it at the recommended operating speed so it will shatter the hardpan correctly. It takes about 55 drawbar hp per shank in our area. Ask an area farmer or extension agent what hp is required in your area.

RodBod":3nhjf4bf said:
I just purchased 42 acres that I want to plant in Texas Tough bermuba. The top 7 or 8 inches of soil seems to be easily tilled. At 8 inches down I find a serious "hardpan". Should I break through this "hardpan" to let the roots grow deeper or leave the hardpan so the water tends to hold at that level where the roots can get to it before it percolates on thru. I don't know how deep the roots really need to go down--nearly impossible to kill bermuda grass. This acreage is between Llano & Brady in central Texas.

Rod, you're planting into some tough territory when you mention Llano. Topsoil is not that deep and what you describe as "hardpan" could be pure limestone rock. Hopefully not.