China and American Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
Will the tariffs placed on American products to China include American beef. China had just opened the market for our beef after the mad cow scare several years ago. Also this was after the Brazilian embargo by China on their beef.

Bright Raven":36apfdpp said:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/for-u-s-farmers-china-tariffs-timing-is-harsh-1521979200

Not yet Hurley, but it is being suggested:

China's social media sites also lit up with nationalist indignation. On Weibo, China's version of Twitter, one user tweeted: "Why not aim fire at American soy, corn and beef?"

How much of that is the people speaking and not the government using social media as a platform to spread their nationalistic ideas?

Bestoutwest":28luxe0i said:
Bright Raven":28luxe0i said:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/for-u-s-farmers-china-tariffs-timing-is-harsh-1521979200

China's social media sites also lit up with nationalist indignation. On Weibo, China's version of Twitter, one user tweeted: "Why not aim fire at American soy, corn and beef?"

How much of that is the people speaking and not the government using social media as a platform to spread their nationalistic ideas?

That citation is public. No different than the rhetoric we as Americans spread. It is however indicative of public sentiment.

That's true what Bright Raven says. Don't know about Chinese social media, don't know about American social media either. How much on American social media is put there by Russians? Nobody knows anything.

Bestoutwest":2u9je2i7 said:
Bright Raven":2u9je2i7 said:

Bestoutwest, I have a friend that is an airline pilot and spends most of his time in China. He tells me, nothing gets or stays on social media there without Party approval. Considering the high degree of censorship in social media in China, I very much suspect the underlying meaning of the comment are one and the same..certainly party (govt) approved comments, if not actually posted by official party lackeys simply disguised as 'everyday people'. Very little happens in that country without govt sanction, and they take it to a very fine art, even down to the lowest levels of society.

greybeard":jdkgfdb5 said:
Bestoutwest":jdkgfdb5 said:
Bright Raven":jdkgfdb5 said:

Bestoutwest, I have a friend that is an airline pilot and spends most of his time in China. He tells me, nothing gets or stays on social media there without Party approval. Considering the high degree of censorship in social media in China, I very much suspect the underlying meaning of the comment are one and the same..certainly party (govt) approved comments, if not actually posted by official party lackeys simply disguised as 'everyday people'. Very little happens in that country without govt sanction, and they take it to a very fine art, even down to the lowest levels of society.

That's what I was suspecting. It is definitely a world of difference compared to what we're used to. We have no right to complain about a lack of freedom here in the USA. We're free 24 hours a day to show our stupidity any way we want to.

Apparently China has a rapidly growing middle class that is very conscientious of their food and they are demanding only the best quality. I know for a fact that China has been importing high quality seafood products from the U.S. and other parts of the world and they are paying extreme premium prices for it. Prices I could only dream of locally. Ironic because they export their garbage seafood to us and undercut domestic seafood prices. I am pursuing their market for some of my shrimp and just sent some samples out to be shipped 3rd party. To overlook their demand for high quality food by the beef industry would be a mistake, in my opinion.