Chimney repair

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
I've got a cracked chimney insert. The limestone block is just a facade.
And it's definitely filling with smoke, causing smoke to be coming out where it shouldn't be. The damage is in the top few feet the rest and the firebox are ok. Any good ideas on a repair without complete replacement? I don't want a rig but I sure hate to have to tear it out. Seems like a metal insert of some sort might be a option.

724.jpeg722.jpeg16034829213541726598466963109516.jpg

It might be possible to run an entire length of triple-walled insulated pipe down to the bottom and seal it off so the smoke goes up through it. Or, cover the cracks with a high-temperature chimney sealant for a more temporary fix. Or, you can always use a chimney liner. They are pretty common and affordable.

Last edited:
Had water making its way in around the chimney top. Used this to seal it all back up and give it better run off capabilities. Not sure how heat will effect it.

haven't used it but a fireplace mortar should stick pretty good.

Might use a caulk for the small cracks to seal them.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everkem-10-3-oz-Fire-Stop-Fire-Rated-Commercial-Sealant-FS814/303010487

Having lost my home to a chimney fire a number of years ago I'd have a professional do an inspection and abide by his recommendations.

You need your skinniest grandkid, a rope and a bucket!

Not sure how they fix them but I know they fix them here all the time. Sure a chimney sweep could fix you right up or tell you how if you want to DYI. Can't help but think there is a sleeve available somewhere.

Do you have a freestanding stove? I recently removed my old cracked clay flue and installed a new insulated stainless steel liner, per insurance company. It was a pretty easy job. I rented an extension tool that attaches to a drill and busts out the old flue. The new chimney liner came with a tee that connects to the stovepipe. Whole deal ran me about twelve hundred bucks. How many clay flue sections are cracked? You might be able to drop two or three new sections in if you were careful!

Those clay liners shouldn't be cracking. You have something more serious than simply coating with mortar. I'm guessing you have water getting in somewhere at the top between liner and limestone. Got any other pictures from the top showing everything?

Latest posts