Chili Peppers

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
I have some peppers left on my plants that I need to harvest before the frost. They are hot and sweet, chili peppers . Should I just pickle them whole ,using a red wine vinegar and salt brine with garlic ?

Or is there another better way that you all suggest I try , there is only enough for a couple of quart jars and that is about it .

Actually thinking of doing pickled garlic for the first time as hubby became addicted to them thanks to Mrs. 3waycross and the humungous jar she sent home with us ! :D

hillsdown":1ds69e9v said:
I have some peppers left on my plants that I need to harvest before the frost. They are hot and sweet, chili peppers . Should I just pickle them whole ,using a red wine vinegar and salt brine with garlic ?
:nod: and throw some okra and onions in there too.

What do they look like. or what variety are they?

You could always roast them and peel them like we do and just freeze them.

3waycross":13vmdpy7 said:

They look like Jalepanos , but the label just says sweet chili heat pepper . Most sre not that big .

Thanks for the suggestions !!!

hillsdown":7rkm7pif said:
3waycross":7rkm7pif said:

They look like Jalepanos , but the label just says sweet chili heat pepper . Most sre not that big .

Thanks for the suggestions !!!

If they are that small you really should pickle them

You think I can fine any bloody jars of fresh peeled whole clove garlic ... :???:
No way I am buying bulbs and peeling them all, or am I .

I want to pickle garlic ,with the peppers and see how that goes , maybe some fresh herbs in it . What do you suggest for herbs to put in it ? Thinking some cilantro and of course sweet basil .

hillsdown":358i4pv4 said:
You think I can fine any bloody jars of fresh peeled whole clove garlic ... :???:
No way I am buying bulbs and peeling them all, or am I .

I want to pickle garlic ,with the peppers and see how that goes , maybe some fresh herbs in it . What do you suggest for herbs to put in it ? Thinking some cilantro and of course sweet basil .

Rosemary i don't think anything else will hold up. My buddy made some bread and butter ja;apenos the other day. Can't wait to try those

So here they are before and after , now to sit and pickle for 2 months . I did 12 pounds of fresh garlic and 10 pounds of sweet heat chili peppers . Will know in 2 months how they turn out . These are finished in a hot water bath btw and all lids have snapped .

Nice HD :D . If you still have any left you have to make a sweet chilli jam, it's awesome with cold meats.

The last time I pickled garlic it turned blue, some sort of chemical reaction of copper sulphide with acid or something :shock: . Has that ever happened to you?

alisonb":3g2sjtwv said:
Nice HD :D . If you still have any left you have to make a sweet chilli jam, it's awesome with cold meats.

The last time I pickled garlic it turned blue, some sort of chemical reaction of copper sulphide with acid or something :shock: . Has that ever happened to you?

I was told that garlic turns blue because some of the sulfur compounds characteristic of the onion-garlic family encourage the formation of molecules very similar to chlorophyll, the pigment that makes leaves green.

The garlic I used in my pickles turned blue also and any time I marinate prawns for the grill in lemon , garlic ,butter and white wine the garlic always turns blue as well. The garlic in these has not turned blue though :? I thought maybe it was because I used red wine vinegar instead or pickling vinegar . Maybe it is different garlic .

Forgot about making sweet chili jelly ,love that with cream cheese . Yum ! Darn .. :(

hillsdown":2twadm8v said:
Maybe it is different garlic .
I think that's the answer. The kind that has big cloves turns blue and the kind with small cloves stays white. The garlic that turns blue will have a purple tinge in the skin and the kind that stays white will have white skin with no purple tinge. This is my unscientific opinion.

Opened up a jar last night and they were a huge hit , but not the same as Granzella's though .
I am pretty sure the Granzella's garlic has cider vinegar in it not just red wine vinegar, which is not listed as an ingredient .

Mine turned out pretty good though .

hillsdown":3fu0950d said:
Opened up a jar last night and they were a huge hit , but not the same as Granvilles though .
I am pretty sure the Granville garlic has cider vinegar in it not just red wine vinegar, which is not listed as an ingredient .

Looks like curiosity got the best of you HD...broke into that first jar about a month early didn't you? :lol2:

TexasBred":1o2jmfkk said:
hillsdown":1o2jmfkk said:
Opened up a jar last night and they were a huge hit , but not the same as Granvilles though .
I am pretty sure the Granville garlic has cider vinegar in it not just red wine vinegar, which is not listed as an ingredient .

Looks like curiosity got the best of you HD...broke into that first jar about a month early didn't you? :lol2:

I can't imagine them in a month or two TB , they were pretty bloody hot already with all those peppers .

I actually had no choice but to pop one open as Mr HD wanted to take a couple of jars for some fellas that always bring stuff for him so had to make sure they were at least edible. I am not a fan of pickled garlic no matter how good ,but had to try at least one teeny tiny clove .After all it is my rep on the line . :eek: