Chiggers

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
After they lifted the burn ban, I set off those huge piles of cedar brush. It was pretty intimidating. Then I pushed all the stumps up and decided to run around picking up any and all tops I could find. I must have cut 300 staves and 100 8 foot posts and hauled the tops to the fire in the backhoe bucket.

The boss lady drove down to the farm and started telling me she wanted some limbs trimmed so she could see down onto the upper flood plain. I took that pole saw attachment and put it on the Stihl pro series weed whacker. Big mistake! She cut those cedar limbs out faster than I could haul them.

I got eat up with chiggers! There's chiggar rid cream on every bump I could find. I darn near went through a whole bottle of that wonder drug. Now if I only had a wire brush to reach the spots on my back!

i feel for you getting ate up by the chiggers.im glad they dont like me no more.

BHB i feel for you i hate chigger's i have found that a pair of chap's work for the leg's never had them on my back tho.

rattler

Clear fingernail polish is cheaper and does the same thing as the bottled stuff...

...grew up in Missouri and I don't miss them at all.

I haven't had a chigger since I was knee-high to a grasshopper. Thought the fire ants got rid of them. I guess my system is still full of all those nice poisions used on the homegrown vegetables I ate when I was a kid. :shock:

Wipe down with clorox and water mix as soon as you come in. I would suggest to take a shower afterwards. Don;t want to smell like the public swimming pool!
My wife is hyper sensitive to them and they just love her. She ended up in the hospital for a couple of days because she had them so bad and got shocky from them.

One thing nice about upnort :nod: Don't think we have chiggers. :???:

It's not chiggers but I've got something weird all over my hands and feet. Started on the backsides of my fingers and has worked it's way around them and popped up on my feet, red with thousands of little dots that look like poison ivy but they don't itch as bad. I can understand getting it on my hands but I never leave the house without socks and leather boots so I can't explain getting anything on my feet. It's been going on for 3 days now and seems to have gotten worse if anything.

Anybody got any ideas? Swine flu?

I always carry off in the tractor,truck and 4wheeler.Just spray my pant legs down real good and not bothered with them.
But if I do get them I've found nothing helps like a shower as hot as you can stand it and scrub hard with plenty soap. Works for me stops the itching.

Cal

Haven't seen chiggers for years or red bugs and not many ticks. Been told the fire ants keep everything like that in check. Not sure which is worse.

CFP, about your rash. You haven't been messin' with Crowder's wimmens, have you? :lol:

They're not as bad as they used to be, in the yard that is. I usually get them when I'm out picking berries. :eek: I have found that taking a hot bath with some bleach added as quickly as possible after picking berries usually does the trick. :nod:

Hope you get over the discomfort real soon....

I haven't had chiggers in a long time and I would like to keep it that way. Skeeters don't bother me a lot, either. I'm not sweet enough, I guess.

Any of you that don't have chiggers and would like to start a chigger ranch, let us know. We've got plenty to spare, they are all tagged, and ready to ship. Of course, I will want top dollar for them.........

I'll donate all of mine. Just come round them all up and haul them out!

The chigger rid cream is the absolute best. No itching today. I have tried everything else thru the years.

I'll be putting flea collars around my boots at level already this year. I have already seen one person doing it right along with his spurs. I don't wear spurs or own a horse. It seems kind of early in the year for that but now I know it is time!

Flea collars don't help on the upper body. Bleach rinses and cream stowed away in every crook and cranny will do the trick.

1982vett":10tnttw2 said:
I haven't had a chigger since I was knee-high to a grasshopper. Thought the fire ants got rid of them. I guess my system is still full of all those nice poisions used on the homegrown vegetables I ate when I was a kid. :shock:

DDT worked well on chiggers. :lol:

grannysoo":2jrh9m6f said:
Any of you that don't have chiggers and would like to start a chigger ranch, let us know. We've got plenty to spare, they are all tagged, and ready to ship. Of course, I will want top dollar for them.........

Them tags make'em worth $.50 a pound more. :lol: :lol: Means they been thru the chute and taught manners.

I don't think that cream does as well as some sort of spray my wife gets seems to dry them up for me anyway.I have only had a couple chigger bites so far this year,but I know my yearly attack is comeing soon,I just don't know when.Hope you get to feeling better.

cfpinz,I had some sort of reaction to fertilizer a few years ago that sounds like that.A boy that used to work for me would get posion ivy on is feet from walking in water that had poision ivy growing in it.Or thats what he said,he might have just not wanted to come to work for a few days.

TexasBred":17dvr9ts said:
grannysoo":17dvr9ts said:

Them tags make'em worth $.50 a pound more. :lol: :lol: Means they been thru the chute and taught manners.

I hope chigger tags are cheap or chiggers are high.how many chiggers in a pound? This may a limiting factor in the cost effectiveness of tagging chiggers. :nod:

another cream that works well on tick and chigger bites is (don't laugh) Preparation H it removes the itching and swelling and helps dry them up

My wife uses Endure horse spray on her jeans and boots and it works better than anything else for keeping them off of her as she is highly allergic to tick bites

our vet uses it also as he is allergic to them too

I'm glad for living upnort where it's to cold for critters like that. I'm talking Crowders Wimmens. :help:

Latest posts