Chiggers

Help Support CattleToday:

Prevention: Spray your boots and lower pant legs with Off.

Treatment: I always use rubbing alcohol on the affected areas.

Wear stove pipe boots, with your pants tucked in. Wet the boots with permrethrin.

I'm fairly certain that by the time you realize you've been inflicted, it's too late to do anything other than anti-itch medicine.

The only real sure fire method is to stay indoors.
Since that not possible, as soon as you come in wipe down with clorox and water

Begin drinking sulfur water in the spring if you have access to it. Also, eat plenty of pickled foods before the chiggers come out and make it a habit to eat them till the chiggers are gone. Some even drink pickle juice.

Jogeephus":k9li5mdw said:
Begin drinking sulfur water in the spring if you have access to it.

About 30 years ago I was living in a house that used water from an old hand-dug well. As long as I used a fair amount of water every day it wasn't too bad, but if I was gone for a couple days and then came home and turned on the hot water in the shower the smell would just about drive you out of the room.

Jogeephus":lohehink said:
Begin drinking sulfur water in the spring if you have access to it. Also, eat plenty of pickled foods before the chiggers come out and make it a habit to eat them till the chiggers are gone. Some even drink pickle juice.
There must be some truth to the Sulfur thing... Grandpa always said the best way to prevent insect bites when working outdoors was to eat a couple of the heads off of the old style kitchen matches. Not sure I would want to eat match heads, but I don't ever remember Gramps complaining about insect bites! :shock:

OFF or any thing with the highest amount of Deet you can find. Vaseline or a lotion after you get them.

I have spilled Ivomec on my leg a couple times over the years. Didn't have any bites for almost one whole year. Im not brave enough to get myself a regular dose every year.

Chiggers and ticks are bad right now around here. They are in the grass and get slung up on you. I am coating myself with OFF before I go out every time now.

Both the vinegar and sulfur work. It takes time to get it in your system but if you go back to the old remedies you'll see when raising pigs a half cup of sulfur was added to their water trough to keep ticks and insects off them. I work outside and rarely use insect spray but I increase my intake of pickled foods each spring. I don't do the sulfur water but when I work on the coast I will.

Chiggerex is the best thing I have found. Last night my ankles were driving me crazy. I got up and put chiggerex cream on Itch was gone. Woke up with no signs of chiggers. I've been using chiggerex for a few years now. Love it.

backhoeboogie":atzbbnhv said:
Chiggerex is the best thing I have found. Last night my ankles were driving me crazy. I got up and put chiggerex cream on Itch was gone. Woke up with no signs of chiggers. I've been using chiggerex for a few years now. Love it.
I think that will spell relief for myself and an amateur fence crew.

Brute 23":4l0mnblw said:
OFF or any thing with the highest amount of Deet you can find. Vaseline or a lotion after you get them.

I have spilled Ivomec on my leg a couple times over the years. Didn't have any bites for almost one whole year. Im not brave enough to get myself a regular dose every year.

Chiggers and ticks are bad right now around here. They are in the grass and get slung up on you. I am coating myself with OFF before I go out every time now.

Don't have to be too brave. Ivermectin used regularly in many parts of the world in annual doses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivermectin

Ivermectin is a broad-spectrum antiparasitic agent, traditionally against parasitic worms and other multicellular parasites. It is mainly used in humans in the treatment of onchocerciasis (river blindness), but is also effective against other worm infestations (such as strongyloidiasis, ascariasis, trichuriasis, filariasis and enterobiasis), and some epidermal parasitic skin diseases, including scabies.

Ivermectin is currently being used to help eliminate river blindness (onchocerciasis) in the Americas, and to stop transmission of lymphatic filariasis and onchocerciasis around the world in programs sponsored by the Carter Center using ivermectin donated by Merck.[11][12][13] The disease is common in 30 African countries, six Latin American countries, and Yemen.[14] The drug rapidly kills microfilariae, but not the adult worms. A single oral dose of ivermectin, taken annually for the 10–15-year lifespan of the adult worms, is all that is needed to protect the individual from onchocerciasis.[15]

djinwa":a0r39e9f said:
Brute 23":a0r39e9f said:

Don't have to be too brave. Ivermectin used regularly in many parts of the world in annual doses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivermectin

Ivermectin is a broad-spectrum antiparasitic agent, traditionally against parasitic worms and other multicellular parasites. It is mainly used in humans in the treatment of onchocerciasis (river blindness), but is also effective against other worm infestations (such as strongyloidiasis, ascariasis, trichuriasis, filariasis and enterobiasis), and some epidermal parasitic skin diseases, including scabies.

Ivermectin is currently being used to help eliminate river blindness (onchocerciasis) in the Americas, and to stop transmission of lymphatic filariasis and onchocerciasis around the world in programs sponsored by the Carter Center using ivermectin donated by Merck.[11][12][13] The disease is common in 30 African countries, six Latin American countries, and Yemen.[14] The drug rapidly kills microfilariae, but not the adult worms. A single oral dose of ivermectin, taken annually for the 10–15-year lifespan of the adult worms, is all that is needed to protect the individual from onchocerciasis.[15]

A friend of mine went on a mission trip, and swore the Doc that went lined the whole town up, and gave them a squirt of ivomec orally.

Latest posts