Chiford bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

You really should limiit how many cross bred cattle are in your genepool. A unifrom calf crop will always bring more, and every time that you cross with another breed you are less likely to get calves that are uniform. Go with an angus bull, they will give you less trouble calving and almost all black calves. Also black angus x calves will bring a few cents more at the sale barn. If you dont think so, ask simmental and limosin associations why they are all going black?

ranching hands":1rjau0x4 said:
i plan on using a chiford bull on my angus x limousin cows or would i do better going back with an angus or limousin bulls

I'd say go with the purebred bull, but maybe you have some sort of specific plan for the calves? What market are you aiming for? Will you retain heifers? If so, they'll be a 4-way cross. What will you breed them to?

KANSAS":3p1ewfyx said:
I have never seen a chiford bull. Could someone post a couple of pics.

Thanks..

Never kept a chifer bull, it was a terminal cross for steers. But most of my females were a big framed, big hipped, washed out orange colored version of a hereford. They made for good mammas.

I think the Talmo ranch in GA still run some chifers. Look up their site, maybe they have pictures posted.

Why did you decide to go with a chifer? Why not a hereford or a simmy?

No I know where the so called pure Polled Herefords that came in from the US and Canada got their scale and lost their good character. All along I thought breeders had just sneaked them into the pedigree. Now I see that they are genuinely being bred with the Chianina infusion. What a waste of bloodlines. These should only be a terminal cross. What other breeds will be corrupted. Thank goodness most Australians are continuing to breed traditional colour and are having DNA testing of progeny. I'd see in the future that the world cattle breeders may look to Australia to help retrieve some of the breeds.

*Cowgirl*":1ihs1rux said:
It's not a very popular breed.
Chill out before you offend someone

It is not a breed at all. They might be able to be registered as chi but not herefords. If you look at what the aussie claims to be a "good" hereford, one might could say that they are heavy on the simmental influence.
I don't understand why this aussie can't back off our cattle. No one comes on here running down his cattle or his way of doing things, but he sure seems to think it is fine to do that with ours. Might be time that he gets some of his own medicine.

Ranching Hands,

This may sound a little biased comeing form someone who raises Herfords, but I couldn't think of a better cross than turning in a good Hereford bull with those Angus/Limmy cross cows.

Heterosis will be maximized with a third cross, thus increasing weaning weights by about 30 to 50 lbs. In addition, youre baldy calves are in high demand from progressive cattle feeders that sell thier cattle into various branded beef programs and youre heifers would make some great feed efficient cows.

You will also improve the disposition on the calves.

Brian

Latest posts