chicory

Help Support CattleToday:

I have never heard of it being grazed 100%, only used in seeding mixes. I plan to put about 1lb. in my new seedings this spring.

lukem86":10zwgadm said:
I have never heard of it being grazed 100%, only used in seeding mixes. I plan to put about 1lb. in my new seedings this spring.

I've heard of producers using it as 100% of their forage to fill in the "summer slump" etc... and/or with red or white clover. Sounds very promising. Great weight gains on cattle.

I would be interested to take a look at the research or source of information.... I wonder how economical it ends up being in a pure stand though. I dont know how much seed you would put down for a pure stand, but Im pretty sure most chichory seed runs close to $6/lb. Im more inclined to think that some BMR sorgum sudan would fill the summer slump just the same... Seed runs between 40 cents and a dollar a pound generally.... just a thought.

lukem86":3t2ckp64 said:
I would be interested to take a look at the research or source of information.... I wonder how economical it ends up being in a pure stand though. I dont know how much seed you would put down for a pure stand, but Im pretty sure most chichory seed runs close to $6/lb. Im more inclined to think that some BMR sorgum sudan would fill the summer slump just the same... Seed runs between 40 cents and a dollar a pound generally.... just a thought.

Yeah, I've thought about Sudan. But chicory can be grazed 3 or more times a year and is supposed to persist for 3 years or so.

Has anyone heard of a BMR Sudan call ProMax? I've seen some info from Kentucky and M.S.U. on what I think must be the first of is kind.

http://msucares.com/newsletters/agronomy/2006/3.pdf

Page 3 has some info on chicory at M.S.U.

Search for PA and chicory. They have a number of great articles.

I have two neighbor that use chicory. Its pretty ugly when it bolts but they like the summer yield. They claim it has a deep tap root. I think if you have good soil fertility, then alfalfa is a better deep tap root choice.

Latest posts