Chicory in the Mix ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I put one pound per acre of chicory in my complex grazing mix. This is the first time I have used chicory and it really caught, especially in the lower areas. Any management tips other than keeping it from bolting?

My experience with chicory in the mix was in the northern part of New Zealand and we loved it. It certainly wont stand prolonged grazing - short sharp grazing in a rotational system is best. But it sure is weight gain feed! All the best with it.

goddy":2guql7q7 said:
My experience with chicory in the mix was in the northern part of New Zealand and we loved it. It certainly wont stand prolonged grazing - short sharp grazing in a rotational system is best. But it sure is weight gain feed! All the best with it.

How long is prolonged?

Most folks here in WI have abandoned it totally. No way to keep it from bolting with summer heat and then becomes unpalatable. I used to drive by a huge grazing dairy and all I could see from late June on was bolted chicory all over the pastures.

I know SGF tried pushing it as a fall annual. Just cant see that paying off.

Good Luck.

AllForage":2r6uojcg said:
Most folks here in WI have abandoned it totally. No way to keep it from bolting with summer heat and then becomes unpalatable. I used to drive by a huge grazing dairy and all I could see from late June on was bolted chicory all over the pastures.

I clip improved pasture once or twice a year. Did they clip?

Not sure if it will help, think it is a heat issue. Most who have had some success were using sheep.

Guess you will find out

AllForage":3iii3e6z said:
Not sure if it will help, think it is a heat issue. Most who have had some success were using sheep. Guess you will find out

I don't like sheep, so I may have to study up on the new method of teaching cattle to eat weeds.

I did look up Chicory in my wild flower field guide. The good news is a member of the aster family and my wife really likes blue. :nod:

Stocker Steve":esms9wa0 said:
goddy":esms9wa0 said:

How long is prolonged?

Depends on climate , type of stock but really any sort of a set stocked situation where the plant is grazed before it has a recovery period.

Latest posts